UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime

Go down 
+14
Dr. Who
sassynurse2
tropheus 1
vman
mike205
istrober
Holey Rock of Texas
jaiko1975
alkomist
razzbuten
pillierox1
wildbeanerz
BFinley
KMX
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime   This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/17/2010, 8:14 am

First topic message reminder :

This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime - Page 2 Fluore10

The Council of Agriculture in Taiwan surprised the world last week by stating that they had successfully created fluorescent cichlids. These cichlids were created by breeding trangenic Convict cichlids and Angelfish.

The creation of this fish was the brain child of the Academia Sinica, Taiwan’s national research academy, and took just shy of 7 years to accomplish.

Some other innovative fish that this group has cooked up are the GloFish Zebra danio (Danio rerio) and the fluorescent Medaka (Oryzias latipes). These fish have been authorized for sale, and quite popular, since 2003 when they first hit the market in Taiwan as an aquarium fish.

Dr. Chih-Yi Chen, the head of the investigative team which created this cichlid, has stated that creating this cichlid took a lot of effort because of the lack of control they had over the spawning process, as compared to the smaller fish they previously tinkered with.

The scientists had to literally sit by the aquarium and wait for the fish to spawn so that the gene fragments could be immediately inserted into the Convict cichlid eggs. If it is not injected immediately, the results don’t seem to take.. This made the whole process very fickle.

An even greater obstacle was overcome, when they were in the process of spawning the fluorescent angelfish, as the couldn’t use micro-injection techniques in the same manner as with the Convict cichlids. In this case, they needed to apply an electric field to the cell membrane, in order to inject the gene fragments.

Well, they pulled it off.. The only question now is… What the heck is it good for? A fish nightlight?

Video here
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/news/lib/611

Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
sassynurse2

PostSubject: Re: This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime   This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/9/2012, 11:16 am

Someone should put an end to this experimental dodo!!!!! Its not natural or cool!!!!!

I agree
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime   This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/9/2012, 11:49 am

Kool looking fish. Face its the new trend in the hobby. The new green white skirt tetra have been selling very good. You die hards don't like it but this what thee hobby is trying to jump start the hobby. Painted fish are painted and not injected.I have seen the women painting them. Dyed skirts and other dyed fish are dyed. Fish are placed in vats with the dye. Tatto fish are injected with color beneath the scales.
Back to top Go down
koolaid68
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
koolaid68

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa, Blood Parrots, OB's, Blue Dolphin, & Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime   This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/9/2012, 3:17 pm

I agree, its a shame. those fish are good for nothing other than being sold at a pet store. They cant live or survive out in the wild by no means. I like natural fish, and yes i do have a fish thats been made up. but that creation there, is dead wrong!!!!
Back to top Go down
sassynurse2
sassynurse2

Favorite Fish: : 2 Clown Loaches...
Blue Dolphins 10.

PostSubject: Re: This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime   This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/9/2012, 4:16 pm

Dr. Who wrote:
Kool looking fish. Face its the new trend in the hobby. The new green white skirt tetra have been selling very good. You die hards don't like it but this what thee hobby is trying to jump start the hobby. Painted fish are painted and not injected.I have seen the women painting them. Dyed skirts and other dyed fish are dyed. Fish are placed in vats with the dye. Tatto fish are injected with color beneath the scales.
Ugh poor fishes

Last edited by sassynurse2 on 3/9/2012, 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

PostSubject: Re: This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime   This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/9/2012, 6:50 pm

The original idea behind the glofish project was actually a very good idea and would have helped mankind undo or prevent the devastating effect we can have on the environment.... that is if it had worked, it didn't, so apparently they decided the next best thing was to sell them as pet fish.

They were hoping that this genetic experiment would result in the glo trait fluorescing only in the presence of contaminants in rivers and streams so that pollutants could be more readily detected and then addressed. But they were unable to turn on an off the fluorescence. Pity, that actually might have worked out as an environmental aid, instead of the fish newbie magnet that it has become.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime   This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/9/2012, 7:03 pm

Sassynurse2 I'm Tropical fish wholesaler. I sell what the store onwer wants. There are a lot of fish I personally feel shouldn't be sold. Its not my job to decide which fish I will sell. I don't have a problem with the altered fish. I will not lead a effort against these fish.
Back to top Go down
jb1edlover
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
jb1edlover

Favorite Fish: : I have the fish in my avatar but the photo was taken by Nick Andreola of the HCCC. His photography skills are a little better than mine!

PostSubject: Re: This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime   This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/9/2012, 9:26 pm

My mom said if I can't say nothing nice don't say anything.
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Favorite Fish: : Kribensis

PostSubject: Re: This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime   This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/9/2012, 10:18 pm

personally imma mad scientist myself. GMOs in my opinion are awesome. its not really a crime so much. these creatures are not genetically viable, they are all 100% engineered to be sterile. before you start quoting "Jurassic Park" - "life will find a way" no it wont, thats just what people say when they have poor understanding of genetic engineering.

Ignorant pseudoscience on the dangers of "Franken-Organisms" by no means have any scientific basis for their arguments they make; just blind fear of things they dont understand. most of the food we eat are GMOs, golden rice, corn, etc, etc,etc, etc.......

sorry but these guys that made this fish might be mad like Victor Frankenstein. but have some sympathy for Frankenstein's Monster. crazy mobs tried to burn him and kill him with pitchforks because the "Monster" was misunderstood.

anyhow i reinterate my point; these creatures are simply not Viable, they are merely a NOVELTY. Plus you dont have worry about these fish crossbreeding and producing hybrids on their own, because they are an impossible abberration unto nature

thats my 2cents as a Devil's Advocate.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime   This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/10/2012, 6:32 am

The glo danio's breed 100 percent true. I haven't been home to try the new glo tetras.
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

PostSubject: Re: This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime   This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/10/2012, 8:48 am

they are breedable now? i thought they had a patent?
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime   This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/10/2012, 10:23 am

If your in it for the money your in it for the wrong reasons.
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

PostSubject: Re: This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime   This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/10/2012, 10:30 am

naw im in it for the scientific research benefit. i dont care much for freakish novelty
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime   This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/10/2012, 2:48 pm

Yes they are patented. Legally you are not suppose to breed them. All I will say is that they breed 100 percent true.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime   This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

This should be a crime ! A Cichlid crime
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2