UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLog inRegisterFAQ
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

i have a question!!!!!!!/?????? pls help

Go down 
AuthorMessage

i have a question!!!!!!!/?????? pls help Empty
PostSubject: Re: i have a question!!!!!!!/?????? pls help   i have a question!!!!!!!/?????? pls help Icon_minitime9/14/2009, 7:42 am

I'm not a salt person. But I moved you to the proper place and you should get an answer here sooner.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: i have a question!!!!!!!/?????? pls help   i have a question!!!!!!!/?????? pls help Icon_minitime9/14/2009, 3:19 pm

Any SW people can help?

**********USAfishbox.com*************

Expand the hobby!

Don't blame me, I voted RON PAUL !!

i have a question!!!!!!!/?????? pls help CMSIG
Back to top Go down
bimmertech
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
bimmertech

Favorite Fish: : PEACOCKS OF ALL COLORS!!!!!!

PostSubject: Re: i have a question!!!!!!!/?????? pls help   i have a question!!!!!!!/?????? pls help Icon_minitime9/14/2009, 3:27 pm

CHEVY350 WOULD KNOW.
Back to top Go down
juice28
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
juice28

Favorite Fish: : black false percula, spotted mandarin

PostSubject: Re: i have a question!!!!!!!/?????? pls help   i have a question!!!!!!!/?????? pls help Icon_minitime9/14/2009, 3:34 pm

thanks for moving him, since you are replacing the saltwater you are taking out, mix it like you were adding it to a tank. for example if 84 gal..42gal is 50% roughly 20 gal is 25%(I prefer to do 30 %) but lets say you will be changing out 20 gal. mix your salt like you would fill up a 20 gal tank.. personally I prefer to get ro/di water already mixed from my LFS that way I know its on point, it is the same water they would use in their own tanks but im lazy lol but i feel you on mixing your own 20 gal is alot of water to buy constantly
Back to top Go down
chevy350
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
chevy350

PostSubject: Re: i have a question!!!!!!!/?????? pls help   i have a question!!!!!!!/?????? pls help Icon_minitime9/14/2009, 4:36 pm

you have to get a salt tester. because you have to remember when saltwater evaporates the salt stays and the water out. so sometimes you will need to put only reverse osmosis water "bottled water". i did saltwater for a while but i got low on funds and had to sell but i learned alot of stuff the hard way. which is the best way because you will never do that again. but you need to get a meter at DNA. they will know what you need. hope that helped a little
Back to top Go down
juice28
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
juice28

PostSubject: Re: i have a question!!!!!!!/?????? pls help   i have a question!!!!!!!/?????? pls help Icon_minitime9/15/2009, 10:06 pm

that is true, but (correct me if im wrong) but there is a difference in top off water and water change water...when I do a water change, my tank is usually full but I top it off a couple times with rodi water. I actually remove the amount of water than im changing wether some has evaporated or not. if im changing 7 gal, and my tank has had 3 gal evaporate, then i remove roughly 4 gal then fill it back up but like i said, i always buy my water from my LFS premixed, I do a water change the same time of every other week and my tank is fine. if your gravity is high or a little low you do want to adjust it but consistency is probably the most looked over important part. For example, good temp range is between 72-80 to round it up. now, if your temp is reading 80 or 81 but it is a constant 80 all the time, your tank will be healthier than a tank that is 79 one day 76 the next 70 a couple days later, and then 80 after that. so if your salt is a little on the high side but it is always on the high side your tank will..adjust itself for the most part. now when you get into stony corals things are a bit tighter but if your gravity is at 1.027 but it is always at that then that is safer for your tank then it changing often. ON A DIFFERENT NOTE! every tank is different so you will have to find the groove of your tank, (just watch it, you will actually see if your tank is doing well and what needs to be done) I do frequent tests to monitor it and if it low, ill just add some buffer. just stick to a schedule and do your tests. I change my water on sunday then test it then ill test again on either wednesday or thursday if all is well ill test in on sunday if all is still well ill follow that schedule till sunday(water change) if it is not then ill do a water change early.
Back to top Go down
chevy350
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
chevy350

PostSubject: Re: i have a question!!!!!!!/?????? pls help   i have a question!!!!!!!/?????? pls help Icon_minitime9/16/2009, 10:04 am

It's ok to mix your own for water changes. Here's what I did, I mixed 5 gallons in a sealed container. So when I did water changes I would have the water already mixed. The premixed is good for a month. It makes life alot easyier and cheaper. Sounds like you got it down on the test. Anymore questions let me know.
Back to top Go down
juice28
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
juice28

PostSubject: Re: i have a question!!!!!!!/?????? pls help   i have a question!!!!!!!/?????? pls help Icon_minitime9/16/2009, 3:03 pm

yea i mixed mine before to but id end up throwing most out because i did not use alot of it often so it would sit up too long i really dont need to do them that often if my tank is running right, probably because it is mainly coral I have a tiny bioload that barley pollutes the water, i got more of a mes from feeding my corals then the fish make, actually i dont even feed my fish just spot the coral every few days and the fish get the leftovers lol. i only have 4 and the biggest and messiest one is the clown.

but it is your choice when it all boils down to it im lazy lol so thats what works for me
Back to top Go down
99chevylr
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: i have a question!!!!!!!/?????? pls help   i have a question!!!!!!!/?????? pls help Icon_minitime9/17/2009, 12:35 pm

you guys are awsome, thank you very very much
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: i have a question!!!!!!!/?????? pls help   i have a question!!!!!!!/?????? pls help Icon_minitime9/17/2009, 12:53 pm

In case all that info was a lil confusing, I'll simplify it for ya.

Water evaporates, salt doesn't.
If your tank is low from evaporation you add only water back in.
If your doin a water change then your takin salt out and need to put salt back in.

If ya doin a water change when ya water is low,
I'd put water only in the tank first and then do the water change.

Gravity Meter!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: i have a question!!!!!!!/?????? pls help   i have a question!!!!!!!/?????? pls help Icon_minitime10/6/2009, 8:27 pm

i mix my own water but then again i have a kent marine maxxima Hi-S 60 GPD RODI unit i have a question!!!!!!!/?????? pls help 932999 . dance
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: i have a question!!!!!!!/?????? pls help   i have a question!!!!!!!/?????? pls help Icon_minitime10/18/2009, 12:46 am

top off water is plain water no salt this is to replace water that evaporates and as it does your salinity will go up because the salt doesn't. waterchange water is saltwater that you can buy premixed, or mix it yourself (which is better because you are going to have to add stuff anyway like buffer and other stuff that may not already be added to premixed saltwater. with a waterchange you are removing some tank water (along with the salt in it)and replacing it. i keep my salinity at .024 to .026 so when i am doing a waterchange i will mix saltwater to that salinity and once the old water is out the new water will be put in the tank in the old waters place.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: i have a question!!!!!!!/?????? pls help   i have a question!!!!!!!/?????? pls help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

i have a question!!!!!!!/?????? pls help
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: SaltWater Aquaria :: General Saltwater Disc.-
Jump to: