UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Some of my shrimpie friends

Go down 
+20
shelliesmith
Keelo
KMX
TankGirl
D'Claro
bastet56
whisper
sschult
Petersmonkey
rchan
jaiko1975
BFinley
Holey Rock of Texas
pillierox1
CajunGator
wildbeanerz
goodpick
mike205
Elrollo
James0816
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Some of my shrimpie friends   Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/10/2010, 5:53 pm

First topic message reminder :

Here's some shots of some of the shrimp I keep:

These are Blue Pearls:
Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 BluePearl

Tigers:
Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Tiger

Crystal Reds: (Couldn't get a decent shot of the blacks at the moment)
Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 CRS

Sunkist Shrimp:
Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Sunkist

I'll have to try and get the others.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
James0816
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Some of my shrimpie friends   Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Icon_minitime1/21/2011, 12:58 pm

D'Claro wrote:
Thanks. Do you keep any fish in with them? What is a typical size tank? And, last but not least, do you think they would be safe with some chili Rasbora (Boraras brigittae)? I realize baby shrimp would probably get eaten, but how about a few adults?
fish

My apologies, thought I had mentioned that most were 10g tanks.

The only fish I keep with my shrimp are Otos. A couple of the tanks double as breeders for now. I also try to keep some Briggs snails in as well.

As long as the tank is nicely planted, I do believe the adult shrimp will be ok. I'm not sure on the behavior of the Chili's so can't quite comment on them. Baby shrimp will most likely be a snack to them if they find them.
Back to top Go down
TankGirl
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
TankGirl

Favorite Fish: : Lake Tanganyikan cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Some of my shrimpie friends   Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Icon_minitime1/22/2011, 4:01 am

It is so nice to see some shrimp tanks! Your specimens are inspiring - I think we all want some now! Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 393849
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Some of my shrimpie friends   Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Icon_minitime1/22/2011, 8:10 am

lol....thx.

I'm definately a shrimpaholic. They are simply awesome.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Some of my shrimpie friends   Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Icon_minitime1/22/2011, 8:23 am

They are Shrimply Awesome!

Do you have any crystal Reds for sale? Those are nice!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Some of my shrimpie friends   Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Icon_minitime1/22/2011, 9:28 am

Think a 1g with an under gravel filter would work for a small colony? Once I upgrade my kids to 10g's I will have 2 empty 1g tanks... They would be fully planted.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Some of my shrimpie friends   Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Icon_minitime1/22/2011, 1:47 pm

really awesome shrimp
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Some of my shrimpie friends   Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Icon_minitime1/22/2011, 2:00 pm

Might have some CRS/CBS ready next week. Still a bit on the small side to ship at the moment.

Not sure about the 1g tank. Could be a bit small. But if it is just a starter place, it may be ok.
Back to top Go down
D'Claro
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
D'Claro

PostSubject: Re: Some of my shrimpie friends   Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Icon_minitime1/22/2011, 2:56 pm

Kory wrote:
They are Shrimply Awesome!
lol!
Fern wrote:
Think a 1g with an under gravel filter would work for a small colony?
A fully planted 1g is what I have free, too. Sounds like it might be a bit small, tho', according to James. (I might try it anyway with just two adults.) no no???

When kept in a colony (as opposed to just a few in a community tank) do Caridina species need much water circulation? Soon, my heavily planted 20 long will be free. How many would make a good starter group, IYO?
fish
Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

Favorite Fish: : Mollys, BN plec, and Thoracochromis brauschi

PostSubject: Re: Some of my shrimpie friends   Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Icon_minitime1/22/2011, 3:37 pm

these make me hungry... dont hate.... lol jk!

But really they are beautiful i like the crystal reds the best :)
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Some of my shrimpie friends   Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Icon_minitime1/22/2011, 4:33 pm

If trying to start a colony, 10 is always a good round about number to start with.
Back to top Go down
shelliesmith
Private
Private
shelliesmith

PostSubject: Re: Some of my shrimpie friends   Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/2/2011, 8:25 pm

I'm in awe, and I want some of those!!
Back to top Go down
D'Claro
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
D'Claro

PostSubject: Re: Some of my shrimpie friends   Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/2/2011, 8:57 pm

I'd settle for, and really prefer, a couple of the regular old Caridina multidentata - the ones that used to be called japonica when they first entered the hobby. Very hard to find locally, now, have to go far afield. The last place I saw them for sale was at P.A.W. in Lynchburg, VA!
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Some of my shrimpie friends   Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/2/2011, 8:59 pm

Caridina Japonica - a.k.a Amano?
Back to top Go down
D'Claro
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
D'Claro

PostSubject: Re: Some of my shrimpie friends   Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/2/2011, 11:07 pm

Yes, when they first entered the hobby that's what folks called them, "Amano shrimp," after Takashi Amano who put them to good use in his planted tanks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Some of my shrimpie friends   Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/2/2011, 11:08 pm

Those are some amazing shrimp!!! i have contemplated starting a shrimp tank. they are neat little creatures!
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Some of my shrimpie friends   Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/3/2011, 7:06 am

D'Claro wrote:
Yes, when they first entered the hobby that's what folks called them, "Amano shrimp," after Takashi Amano who put them to good use in his planted tanks.

Yep...thought may have been referencing somehing else.

They are another low order breeder. I just recently aquired some to add to my existing project.
Back to top Go down
D'Claro
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
D'Claro

PostSubject: Re: Some of my shrimpie friends   Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/3/2011, 9:52 am

James0816 wrote:
They are another low order breeder. I just recently aquired some to add to my existing project.

What does that mean - "low order breeder?"
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Some of my shrimpie friends   Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/3/2011, 9:56 am

D'Claro wrote:
What does that mean - "low order breeder?"

Young hatch out in a larvae form instead of mini versions of the adults. Also require brack to full sea water for development.
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: New Addition: 06-Apr-2011   Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/7/2011, 6:31 pm

Here is one of my latest additions:

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present you: Caridina gracilirostris (a.k.a Red Nose or Pinocchio Shrimp)
Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 RedNoseShrimp

These are another low order breeder that I'm going to attempt to breed. Eggs hatch in a larval state and will require salt water to grow and morph into their adult form.
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

PostSubject: Re: Some of my shrimpie friends   Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/7/2011, 7:32 pm

Nice James. Gonna have to talk you into bringing some shrimp up to sell if you can make it to the next meeting lol.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Some of my shrimpie friends   Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/7/2011, 11:14 pm

which species of shrimp hatch as mini adults?? instead of larvae??? that dont require brackish water to breed??

wanting to get more shrimp but dont want to have problems with other issures.. spoiled with the red cherry shrimp...
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Some of my shrimpie friends   Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/8/2011, 5:50 am

CajunGator wrote:
which species of shrimp hatch as mini adults??

Almost all dwarf shrimp hatch out as shrimplets.

Only a handful go through a larval stage.
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Some of my shrimpie friends   Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Icon_minitime6/21/2011, 6:33 pm

And here we have the ever so lovely Caridina serratirostris.

This is my fourth low order breeder for my project. These by far are the most fascinating shrimp species out there. They can change colors at the drop of a hat. The colors vary greatly. Also one of the smaller dwarf varieties staying under an inch in length.

Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Ninja2_062111

Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Ninja3_062111

Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Ninja1_062111
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

PostSubject: Re: Some of my shrimpie friends   Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Icon_minitime6/21/2011, 8:45 pm

They look awesome!
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

Favorite Fish: : Species I've kept: Freshwater- Dwarf puffers and clown loaches. Saltwater- Volitans and Snowflake Moray

Species I'd love to keep one day- Freshwater- Rays. Saltwater- Bamboo/Cat Sharks

PostSubject: Re: Some of my shrimpie friends   Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Icon_minitime6/21/2011, 9:30 pm

Beautiful pics! I really need to get my 5 gallon back up. I think I might have to try my hand at some shrimp. I've kept ghost shrimp before. :) Not sure what species I'll put in because I want a lot of activity. Any suggestions? They need to not be shy because this is a very very active house.
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Some of my shrimpie friends   Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Icon_minitime6/22/2011, 6:59 am

Jeepluv77 wrote:
Any suggestions? They need to not be shy because this is a very very active house.

That would definately rule out the Ninja's unfortunately. As far as activity goes, the Blue Pearls and CRS are the most active that I have seen.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some of my shrimpie friends   Some of my shrimpie friends - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Some of my shrimpie friends
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next