Freshwater & Saltwater Aquatics Club
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!

Freshwater & Saltwater Aquatics Club

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

HomeForumLog inRegisterFAQ
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Share | 

Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
caroline696
Private
Private

PostSubject: Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria?   11/7/2010, 8:55 am

I need to treat Ich in my tank, and since it spreads so easily I am going to treat the main tank. I raised the temp to about 83 but I wanted to know what medication works best and if there are any that would not kill off the beneficial bacteria. I have african cichlids, and a pleco if this impacts the treatment. Thanks
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria?   11/7/2010, 9:41 am

What kind of cichlids and what kind of pleco?
The size of tank would be good to know too.
Back to top Go down
caroline696
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria?   11/7/2010, 10:14 am

I have african cichlids (mainly mbuna) and a common pleco in a 75 gal tank. I am trying to determine which medication I should buy to treat Ich most effectively without harming the beneficial bacteria. I am not interested in doing salt treatments that I hav about because I have heard they can hurt the pleco. Thanks
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

PostSubject: Re: Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria?   11/7/2010, 11:17 am

I have used a product called Quick Cure (malachite green and formalin) for ick for years without noticing significant damage to the beneficial bacteria......You must follow the instructions fully and half dose if you are worried about a particular type of fish......................Not good for invertebrates in the tank.
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2

Favorite Fish:: Species I've kept: Freshwater- Dwarf puffers and clown loaches. Saltwater- Volitans and Snowflake Moray

Species I'd love to keep one day- Freshwater- Rays. Saltwater- Bamboo/Cat Sharks

PostSubject: Re: Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria?   11/7/2010, 11:42 am

I, too, have used half dose of Quick Cure with no ill effects on the bacteria. It also tends to not stain the silicone seams very much at that dose. Honestly, I've never gotten any more effective cure or shorter time frame from the full dose so I only use half dose any more regardless of what fish I've got. As dano said, however, it is not good for any inverts. Oh, and they aren't kidding when they say pull the carbon from your filter.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria?   11/7/2010, 4:48 pm

I use it at half dose as well, just as good as full dose.

You do know that common plecos get up to a few feet long?
Back to top Go down
vman
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria?   11/7/2010, 5:48 pm

Last edited by vman on 11/26/2010, 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor

Favorite Fish::
Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

PostSubject: Re: Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria?   11/7/2010, 8:49 pm

You want a non-medicated treatment?

Raise temperature and use aquarium salt.

http://thegab.org/Illness-and-Treatment/treating-ich-with-salt.html

usafishbox

**********USAfishbox.com*************

"Opinions are like buttholes. Everybody has one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks."

Visit me on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf#!/profile.php?id=100001118876489
Back to top Go down
Joe Reborn
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Favorite Fish:: Red Festae, Frontosa, Red Zebra, Green Terror

PostSubject: Re: Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria?   11/7/2010, 10:59 pm

X2 on what the Evil Jojo said (Khrister)
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major

Favorite Fish:: Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria?   11/8/2010, 1:25 am

You can always try a copper dip also medicine never really enters your tank..might stress the fish out if it is the very progressed stage of the disease. This is where you use a small backet/tank treat it with copper and simple net you fish dip them in the bucket set them back in the tank. We used to treat salt water fish in invert tanks this way.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin

Favorite Fish:: African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria?   11/8/2010, 7:40 am

khrister wrote:
You want a non-medicated treatment?

Raise temperature and use aquarium salt.

http://thegab.org/Illness-and-Treatment/treating-ich-with-salt.html

usafishbox

Took the words right out of my mouth!

I agree 100000%

No meds! Heat n salt usafishbox

You can't kill ich ....you can only speed up the process.

Expand the hobby!

Don't blame me, I voted RON PAUL !!

Back to top Go down
CajunGator

Favorite Fish:: Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria?   11/8/2010, 10:26 am

yep, JoJo rules...

Back to top Go down

Is there an Ich Treatment that won't kill the beneficial bacteria?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next