Freshwater & Saltwater Aquatics Club
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!

Freshwater & Saltwater Aquatics Club

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

HomeForumLog inRegisterFAQ
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Share | 

advice on putting different species of fry together

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jessecichlidguy

Favorite Fish: : cichlids cichlids cichlids

PostSubject: advice on putting different species of fry together   11/7/2010, 8:19 am

i have red jewels and kribensis all about the same size (.5-.75 in) and was wondering if i can put the together in a 20 gallon take for a grow out i guess thats what it would be called i just dont have the funds quite yet to get more heaters and some of my breeders are popping out more fry then i had imagined
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: advice on putting different species of fry together   11/7/2010, 8:28 am

Red jewels get nasty at a very young age, I wouldn't advise it.
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy

PostSubject: Re: advice on putting different species of fry together   11/7/2010, 8:32 am

thanks fern i knew i can count on you for the advice i just have to move some fish around and get a lil more organized i have every batch of new fry in seperate tanks and im not too sure if i can mix 4month old fry with 1month fry of the same species what can i do
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: advice on putting different species of fry together   11/7/2010, 8:35 am

Whats the temp in the room? You dont NEED heaters.

I would say if they are that small you might be ok but like fern said the jewels get nasty pretty young so you might want to expierment with it at 1st. Put a few in and see what happens.

**********USAfishbox.com*************

Expand the hobby!

Don't blame me, I voted RON PAUL !!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975

PostSubject: Re: advice on putting different species of fry together   11/7/2010, 8:36 am

i have the same issue with jewels,mayan,and the hybrids in the same tank

My tanks

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: advice on putting different species of fry together   11/7/2010, 8:37 am

Stop saving the jewel fry till you have the room for everyone else first. That sounds harsh I know but worry about the others first.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: advice on putting different species of fry together   11/7/2010, 8:38 am

jaiko1975 wrote:
i have the same issue with jewels,mayan,and the hybrids in the same tank

Do me a favor and keep those hybrids to youself.

Expand the hobby!

Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy

PostSubject: Re: advice on putting different species of fry together   11/7/2010, 8:45 am

the fish room is in the garage and its like 60 degrees at night all glass tanks the walls are not insulated neither is the ceiling so thats my dilemma and as for my jewels i only have had 2 batches like 40 total and as for the kribs they just hatched like 50 for the 3rd time my socolofi spit 20 and is holding again she should spit in a bout a week or 2 my birchardis take care of there young so they are still in the 60 with there parents
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: advice on putting different species of fry together   11/7/2010, 8:51 am

What about a room heater? I roll a floor heater into the room for the winter. Keeps the room warm. I have no heaters in my tanks b/c I have lost many fish at the hands of a heater and so has many of my good fish friends

Expand the hobby!

Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy

PostSubject: Re: advice on putting different species of fry together   11/7/2010, 8:55 am

ive heard bout the room heaters i just might try that just as long as the peeps here can keeep the garage door closed
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975

PostSubject: Re: advice on putting different species of fry together   11/7/2010, 9:03 am

why? KMX

My tanks

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: advice on putting different species of fry together   11/7/2010, 5:00 pm

Heater malfunction all the time if you can get by without them that's your safest bet. It seems like every other month someone lost a whole tank due to a heater. Even inline heaters. Hey Jesse sounds like it's time to put the garage off limits till spring so the doors not being opened. If you use heaters in the tanks be careful if someone opens the door on a really cold day. Cold air hitting a warm tanks can burst the glass tanks it's happened to me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: advice on putting different species of fry together   11/7/2010, 6:11 pm

Just get a ceramic space heater and a fan, heater at one end of the room and fan at the other to move the heat around. You can get a pretty nice one for $30!
Make sure it has the tip over shut off safety though... just in case it falls over! Also the ceramics are safer than the element ones and are safer and better on electricity consumption.

You really need to think about insulating the walls soon, even just the foam sheets would help a bunch! They have some really nice foam board insulation's out now and you don't have to mess with nasty fiberglass insulation!

For your attic the best thing would probably be the rolls of fiber glass insulation, you only have to mess with it once up there and they seem to be the best bang for the buck.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: advice on putting different species of fry together   11/8/2010, 2:27 am

The new infra reds put out a ton of heat most also have a thermostat now so they do not get too hot and you can control the room tamp..78 deg anyone :) little more than 30 bucks though usually in the 50-80 range depending on size and area effectiveness out put
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: advice on putting different species of fry together   11/8/2010, 8:33 am

jaiko1975 wrote:
why? KMX

b/c hybrids are not good for the hobby. Just do me a favor and dont sell them or give them to anyone. Keep the for personal only. Hybrids are very bad for the hobby. usafishbox

I am not against the people that keep them I would just like to educate you on what you are keeping.

Expand the hobby!

Back to top Go down
jaiko1975

PostSubject: Re: advice on putting different species of fry together   11/8/2010, 8:35 am

got it kmx hey can i keep acaras and texas together?

My tanks

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: advice on putting different species of fry together   

Back to top Go down

advice on putting different species of fry together
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1