UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-)

Go down 
+13
hatman
cwillis
istrober
CajunGator
Jeepluv77
alkomist
Elrollo
goodpick
stierwalt3
pillierox1
alan j t
nitty
Demonkegman
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Demonkegman
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Demonkegman

Favorite Fish: :
Salt water - Lion fish.
Fresh water - Arowana.
Food - Any type of Salmon sushi.

SALT WATER LOVER!!!! Fresh...... not so much...

I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 Empty
PostSubject: I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-)   I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 Icon_minitime11/4/2010, 6:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

I finally worked up the balls to cut one of my starfish in half, I researched it for weeks and was extremely interested in doing it.... I'll post pics soon and allow the regrowing process. but so far so good. both halves are running around no problem..

I cut my Chocolate starfish (it might be a different kind.. cuz it's like a blueish gray) in 2... one piece is 3 legs and one is 2... i made absolute sure to include part of the mouth in each end and quarrentined it for a few hours to let it relax and rest..

Hopefully I'm not a jerk, and i did it right.... but the outcome should be 2 healthy starfish.. I'm aware it will proly take a few months for it to star growing and looking normal again..

I will update this as time goes on and if i master it, then I am awesome hahaha
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-)   I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 Icon_minitime11/5/2010, 8:00 am

If its successful and well documented it can be a library entry!
But I wont move it till you end up with 2 proper starfish I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 393849
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-)   I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 Icon_minitime11/5/2010, 8:22 am

Elrollo wrote:
Wow if it works great .... go pick up some harliquin shrimp beautiful shrimp that only eat starfish ....

that would be a kool idea! those shrimp are awsome! BUT it would be a good idea to have way more than one starfish in a separate tank (mainly refugium) that way your not always picking off the same one everyday or everyother day. that way you give em all each time to regrow i have a buddy who has a 3.5g pico with a H shrimp and a 20L for a refugium Full of starfish! id say easily bout 12-13. about half were "splits" from the original he bought lol the rest he bought.

but back to the topic! KEGMAN your awsome!! lol
now that you git tha hang of starfish! get into the big bucks and start splitting Nems!!!!!
your star-stars look KOOL!! and healthy great job on the split!
Back to top Go down
Demonkegman
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Demonkegman

Salt water - Lion fish.
Fresh water - Arowana.

PostSubject: Re: I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-)   I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 Icon_minitime11/6/2010, 12:24 am

ALK! thanks bro!! lol

AND...

ok here are some answers for questions I've been getting all around here and 3reef....

1. i did this to learn... i can easily buy another one, but i want to grow and learn in the salt water world, and the only way is to go balls deep and try it.

2. I cut it with a pair of Hair cutting (very sharp) scissors... note, the star was very hard to cut!!! like very hard.... and lucky i did it right but maybe next time I'd use something different...

3. i only cut it in half.. I guess technically you can cut it into 5 pieces, but i have no idea as to how many legs would grow back... if 5 complete starfish would grow... But I read that a "segment" needs a decent portion of the mouth go survive....

4. I don't know how long it will take to grow completely whole again, BUT i read that i might take around 3 months....

(UPDATE) day 2, both segments are still moving around and looks like they are eating.... the inside where i cut that was exposed looks a little bit better like it's starting to some what heal... so we will see how it goes.

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FOR YOU INTEREST AND OPEN MINDEDNESS!!!! This is a new prossess for me and all of you, and someone's gotta do it lol, so bare with me and check back for picturezs!! If I end up failing this project, well at sorry... hahaha trial and error..
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-)   I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 Icon_minitime11/6/2010, 12:38 am

Instead of scissors try a really sharp knife...one quick stroke with a good joint cleaver or french knife....very interesting topic
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-)   I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 Icon_minitime11/6/2010, 6:13 am

take a butcher knife to that b!tch!!!! lol one swing and youll have 2 very clean cut pieces!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-)   I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 Icon_minitime11/6/2010, 7:11 am

Demonkegman wrote:

1. i did this to learn... i can easily buy another one, but i want to grow and learn in the salt water world, and the only way is to go balls deep and try it.
I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 858205 Sometimes the only way to learn is to do! And I am very very interested in this and have been for some time!

Demonkegman wrote:

3. i only cut it in half.. I guess technically you can cut it into 5 pieces, but i have no idea as to how many legs would grow back... if 5 complete starfish would grow... But I read that a "segment" needs a decent portion of the mouth go survive....

Cutting it in half was probably the best for the first time, your success rate will be higher

Demonkegman wrote:

(UPDATE) day 2, both segments are still moving around and looks like they are eating.... the inside where i cut that was exposed looks a little bit better like it's starting to some what heal... so we will see how it goes.

Sounds good so far!

Demonkegman wrote:

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FOR YOU INTEREST AND OPEN MINDEDNESS!!!! This is a new process for me and all of you, and someone's gotta do it lol, so bare with me and check back for picture's!! If I end up failing this project, well at sorry... hahaha trial and error..

I think its very cool that you are doing this experiment and documenting it! If it works you will have made a nice how to guide! If it does not work then we will all still have learned from it!
I think it very awesome you are trying this!
Back to top Go down
Demonkegman
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Demonkegman

Salt water - Lion fish.
Fresh water - Arowana.

PostSubject: Re: I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-)   I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 Icon_minitime11/6/2010, 7:27 pm

Update day 3... Both pieces are still active and eating, so far so good i guess...

the exposed insides look like they are closing up, obviously no growth yet, but looks like they are healing!!!

no need for more pics yet as both look exactly the same.
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

Favorite Fish: : Species I've kept: Freshwater- Dwarf puffers and clown loaches. Saltwater- Volitans and Snowflake Moray

Species I'd love to keep one day- Freshwater- Rays. Saltwater- Bamboo/Cat Sharks

PostSubject: Re: I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-)   I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 Icon_minitime11/6/2010, 7:59 pm

Very cool topic. I think it's awesome that someone's trying this and even more awesome that you did the research first. Keep us posted on how it goes! It must be an amazing thing to watch them regrow but I don't think it'd ever have the intestinal fortitude to do it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-)   I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 Icon_minitime11/6/2010, 8:40 pm

Try for weekly pics, that's the best length of time between pics I'm thinking, it should be close enough but far enough apart to well document the regrowth.

Again, I think this is very awesome!
Back to top Go down
Demonkegman
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Demonkegman

Salt water - Lion fish.
Fresh water - Arowana.

PostSubject: Re: I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-)   I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 2:34 pm

ok i will do for sure... i search other SW forums and no topics like this with documentation... soooo. i'll be there first... YAAY! I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 690297
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-)   I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 5:51 pm

I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 265353 This is just awesome! Once they are 2 full stars again you can convert this to a library entry or even just copy paste it over there for the world to know that you have what it takes to try this lol!
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-)   I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 Icon_minitime11/8/2010, 10:27 am

LOLjust think bout it....if you keep this up you have your own startfish buissness:)

all those stars sick lol
pics would be kool though. so we can see the growth rate once every week!
what do you feed em?
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-)   I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 Icon_minitime11/8/2010, 11:07 am

awesome procedure. good luck on your surgical procedure.... how long does it take for the new growth to begin???
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-)   I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 Icon_minitime11/8/2010, 11:11 am

wow that will be so great to watch, take some pics!!, good luck! I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 67702
Back to top Go down
Demonkegman
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Demonkegman

Salt water - Lion fish.
Fresh water - Arowana.

PostSubject: Re: I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-)   I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 Icon_minitime11/9/2010, 11:37 pm

i don't feed them... they just eat whatever algue grows on the rocks or glass or they eat fish junk and poop on the sand... and they should take like 6 months to grow normal again...

UPDATE, WEEK ONE OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics tomorrow, they are both alive and well... no growing yet but they "cut" or wound looks like it's closed up and isn't infected or anything, so that's about all i can update i guess....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-)   I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 Icon_minitime11/10/2010, 8:22 am

Closing of the wound is a very good update!
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

PostSubject: Re: I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-)   I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 Icon_minitime11/10/2010, 8:47 am

yep that is awesome!!! i dont know if i could do that since i start crying wen i give my dog her shots bc shes starts crying lik shes dying but at the end theres nothing for her to cry about beside the shock of it lol.
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

Favorite Fish: : Species I've kept: Freshwater- Dwarf puffers and clown loaches. Saltwater- Volitans and Snowflake Moray

Species I'd love to keep one day- Freshwater- Rays. Saltwater- Bamboo/Cat Sharks

PostSubject: Re: I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-)   I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 Icon_minitime11/22/2010, 11:12 pm

Just wanted to bump this up there and see if we can get an update! :)
Back to top Go down
cwillis
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
cwillis

Favorite Fish: : all of them that the problem but I do favor the shubunkins.

PostSubject: Re: I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-)   I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 Icon_minitime1/15/2011, 7:26 pm

this made for a interesting read. I'm looking forward to the next set of photos
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-)   I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 Icon_minitime1/16/2011, 1:52 am

Actually to add to this topic just reading in TFH magazine saltwater Q&A person was talking about having a harliquin shrimp or two and they recommended chopping chocolate stars up for a source of inexpensive shrimp food.

I also would like to see an update this is one of the more intresting topics.
Back to top Go down
hatman
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
hatman

Favorite Fish: : I don't have favorite a fish, but I really enjoy my Christmas Fulu's. Also my 125g community tank.

PostSubject: Re: I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-)   I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 Icon_minitime1/16/2011, 11:56 am

I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 858205
Back to top Go down
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : Fish

PostSubject: Re: I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-)   I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 Icon_minitime1/20/2011, 2:09 pm

so demonkegman what happened to it?
Back to top Go down
bkozolup
Sergeant
Sergeant
bkozolup

Favorite Fish: : Chrysurus angel fish

PostSubject: Re: I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-)   I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 Icon_minitime1/23/2011, 9:57 am

i do not think i could of done that .
Back to top Go down
cwillis
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
cwillis

Favorite Fish: : all of them that the problem but I do favor the shubunkins.

PostSubject: Re: I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-)   I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 Icon_minitime1/23/2011, 10:18 am

all together now! we want new photos! we want new photos! dance
Back to top Go down
bkozolup
Sergeant
Sergeant
bkozolup

Favorite Fish: : Chrysurus angel fish

PostSubject: Re: I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-)   I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 Icon_minitime1/23/2011, 11:47 am

new photos
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-)   I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 Icon_minitime1/23/2011, 11:50 am

Pictures......Pictures ........Pictures........ worthlesswopic
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-)   I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-) - Page 1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I cut my starfish in half!!!!!! :-)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next