UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Is stainless steel safe for an aquarium?

Go down 
+4
MarkM
istrober
alkomist
wblueus
8 posters
AuthorMessage
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : cichlids

Is stainless steel safe for an aquarium? Empty
PostSubject: Is stainless steel safe for an aquarium?   Is stainless steel safe for an aquarium? Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 11:31 am

Was wondering whats everyones opinion on putting stainless steel in a aquarium could it cause problems?
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Is stainless steel safe for an aquarium?   Is stainless steel safe for an aquarium? Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 11:34 am

i think so....................although im not fully sure on it, i wouldnt risk it!!

i dont put any metals in my tank!!! !!!!!!
its just wrong lol some ppl clean algea off their tank walls with razor blades buti think even thats bad! id rather be safe and have nothing metalic touch the water in my tanks! i use platic razors to clean the walls lol
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: Is stainless steel safe for an aquarium?   Is stainless steel safe for an aquarium? Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 11:38 am

the only metal that doens't damage on the water is SS, however, is not recomended to use ANY kind of metals on aquariums because they have chemicals that can give you hard times within the days... so to be safe dont use it. Is stainless steel safe for an aquarium? 393849
Back to top Go down
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Is stainless steel safe for an aquarium?   Is stainless steel safe for an aquarium? Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 11:48 am

just wondering cause i use my stainless steel scissors to prune my plants cant seem to find any made out of something different
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: Is stainless steel safe for an aquarium?   Is stainless steel safe for an aquarium? Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 11:50 am

i use my own hands to prune the plants lol, you can also get plastic scissors it will do the job too
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Is stainless steel safe for an aquarium?   Is stainless steel safe for an aquarium? Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 11:51 am

Hmm im sure a quick dip of the scissors to clip plants wont harm it, but how often do you do it?
Back to top Go down
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Is stainless steel safe for an aquarium?   Is stainless steel safe for an aquarium? Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 12:03 pm

I prune no more then once a week and when i do it only takes me like a minute
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

PostSubject: Re: Is stainless steel safe for an aquarium?   Is stainless steel safe for an aquarium? Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 12:08 pm

I use stainless bolts to attach driftwood to rocks. I've had some pieces with stainless bolts in my tanks for several years with no ill effects. I wouldn't use stainless in SW, but I don't see a problem using it in FW.
Back to top Go down
lizardking
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
lizardking

Favorite Fish: : Marbled Shark/ Lionfish

PostSubject: Re: Is stainless steel safe for an aquarium?   Is stainless steel safe for an aquarium? Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 1:19 pm

I use stainless hemo's to feed my shark and ray. Never had a problem.
Back to top Go down
TangTango
Private
Private
TangTango

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa, Gibberosa, Calvus

PostSubject: Re: Is stainless steel safe for an aquarium?   Is stainless steel safe for an aquarium? Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 1:34 pm

I have some driftwood in my plant'd tank that has drywall screws hold'n them to slate.
I have Neons, Glolights, Corys, and an Otto in there and I've never had a problem.
Well... I have a huge snail problem but that has noth'n to do with the metal.
Back to top Go down
nick a
Sergeant
Sergeant
nick a

PostSubject: Re: Is stainless steel safe for an aquarium?   Is stainless steel safe for an aquarium? Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 2:09 pm

Most types of SS are quite stable in water....especially in fresh, higher pH water.
Some grades are better than others 316 is better than 304...316L (low carbon) is better than plain 316 etc.......

Any pump impeller that you have rides on either a SS or a ceramic shaft.

Any of you who have ever had an IV at the hospital...all the drugs are mixed and the bags filled through SS.

If you clean the machine oils etc off of new SS before you put it in your tank, IME, you're quite safe.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Is stainless steel safe for an aquarium?   Is stainless steel safe for an aquarium? Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 3:33 pm

nick a wrote:
Most types of SS are quite stable in water....especially in fresh, higher pH water.
Some grades are better than others 316 is better than 304...316L (low carbon) is better than plain 316 etc.......

Any pump impeller that you have rides on either a SS or a ceramic shaft.

Any of you who have ever had an IV at the hospital...all the drugs are mixed and the bags filled through SS.

If you clean the machine oils etc off of new SS before you put it in your tank, IME, you're quite safe.

very nicely put.

Is stainless steel safe for an aquarium? 858205
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is stainless steel safe for an aquarium?   Is stainless steel safe for an aquarium? Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 4:28 pm

I don't see an issue with it at all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is stainless steel safe for an aquarium?   Is stainless steel safe for an aquarium? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is stainless steel safe for an aquarium?
Page 1 of 1