UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

info about angels

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SteveD
Private
Private
SteveD

Favorite Fish: : Angels

info about angels Empty
PostSubject: info about angels   info about angels Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 9:27 am

I am interested in breeding my angels but want more info before attempting this. how old are they when they mature and how do you tell their sex. I have read books and they give conflicting info..
Back to top Go down

info about angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: info about angels   info about angels Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 9:39 am

It's really hard to sex angels unless they have breed successfully. Best bet is to get 6 young and grow them out. I bought dime size angels and took about 7 months for the first to pair up and breed. There are differences but to someone even like me who has had angels for years it's hard to tell and unreliable. If you have the money you can buy a mated pair but be sure they have breed successfully.
Back to top Go down
SteveD
Private
Private
SteveD

info about angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: info about angels   info about angels Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 9:45 am

I have just recently bought 5 about 1.5 inches. all are together for now in a 36" long 30 gallon, I know that i will need to remove some of them but will the pair up? I guess if i leave them together will there be a sign of them wanting to mate? I dont want to try to guess and move them, my luck I will move all the same sex.
Back to top Go down
unknown
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
unknown

Favorite Fish: : You mean I gotta have a favorite??

info about angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: info about angels   info about angels Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 9:55 am

Keep them together. When they pair up, it will be clear. They will begin cleaning one area of the tank, and chase everybody else away from that area. That's the time to remove the rest of them.

Good luck!!
Back to top Go down

info about angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: info about angels   info about angels Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 9:57 am

30 gal is small for 5 angels. Mine are about 1.5 inches not including the fins. Once they start pairing off leave the pair in the 30 gal. The tank should be heavily planted with large leave plants and some stone slabs resting against the sides of the tank, They 4 should go in a 55 gal planted and you may get another pair. I've had 2 females mate with unfertile eggs of course. So be sure you have fertile eggs to prove it's male and female.
Back to top Go down
SteveD
Private
Private
SteveD

info about angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: info about angels   info about angels Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 10:03 am

ok thank you both.
Back to top Go down

info about angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: info about angels   info about angels Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 10:09 am

No problem Steve
Back to top Go down
intensitti
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
intensitti

Favorite Fish: : Angels and Discus

info about angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: info about angels   info about angels Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 11:23 am

A tank does not have to be heavily planted for angels to breed or to pair up. It is easier to watch them with less plants. Just make sure that you have a tall vertical tile for them to lay eggs on.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

info about angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: info about angels   info about angels Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 11:49 am

FishVixen wrote:
30 gal is small for 5 angels. Mine are about 1.5 inches not including the fins. Once they start pairing off leave the pair in the 30 gal. The tank should be heavily planted with large leave plants and some stone slabs resting against the sides of the tank, They 4 should go in a 55 gal planted and you may get another pair. I've had 2 females mate with unfertile eggs of course. So be sure you have fertile eggs to prove it's male and female.
info about angels 858205
Back to top Go down

info about angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: info about angels   info about angels Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 5:29 pm

a row of tall plants in the center help visually divide the tank so that when they do pair and spawn they only run the others to the other side of the plants and not all the way into a corner. The males tube is thinner than the females.
Back to top Go down
SteveD
Private
Private
SteveD

info about angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: info about angels   info about angels Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 7:36 pm

tube?
Back to top Go down

info about angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: info about angels   info about angels Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 7:47 pm

The breeding tube. Most fish have a tube that comes down just before and during spawning that the eggs or sperm come out of. I watched a pair of angles spawn at the lfs I work at yesterday and noticed the males is skinnier then the females. Its was in a fairly well planted 75g and they had run all of the other angles to the other side of the tank.
Back to top Go down
SteveD
Private
Private
SteveD

info about angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: info about angels   info about angels Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 7:51 pm

cool the books say nothing like the info i am getting from yall. thank yall so much!!!
Back to top Go down

info about angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: info about angels   info about angels Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 7:57 pm

Glad to be of help info about angels 393849 I have never kept them, just watched them at my lfs, so I'm sure other can be of better help
Back to top Go down
SteveD
Private
Private
SteveD

info about angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: info about angels   info about angels Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 8:01 pm

some time observation can teach us more. they are still young but hopefuly I can get atleast one pair. I have 4 tanks but waiting for 2 to cycle. then i am going to try to pair them and move them.
Back to top Go down

info about angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: info about angels   info about angels Icon_minitime8/27/2010, 8:07 pm

When the pair bond forms you will be able to tell for sure, there will not be a doubt in your mind about it! so until you see that leave them together.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

info about angels Empty
PostSubject: Re: info about angels   info about angels Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

info about angels
Page 1 of 1