UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Fry Suprise!!

Go down 
    +4
    CajunGator
    istrober
    MarkM
    unknown
    8 posters
    AuthorMessage
    unknown
    Second Lieutenant
    Second Lieutenant
    unknown

Favorite Fish: : You mean I gotta have a favorite??

Fry Suprise!! Empty
    PostSubject: Fry Suprise!!   Fry Suprise!! Icon_minitime8/24/2010, 10:29 pm

I was working on filters this evening and noticed a strange "cloud" in the corner of my 55 SA cichlid tank. As I looked more closely, I thought the JDs had just move enough of the gravel to stir up some debris (one of the 4 tanks I didn't get to Sunday). As I continued to watch, I noticed the debris was moving on its own! There are at least 100 JD fry in there!

Caught me completely off guard since I check the tank daily and have never seen any eggs. I think they must have laid them on the back-bottom portion of the pot, where I couldn't see them. Last time they laid, they ate them all, and they were alone in the tank. This time, they have plenty of company in the tank (I'm currently cycling a 50 to thin them out), and they decide to raise them.

Now my delimma is; do I go ahead and thin out the tank, leaving the JDs alone with their fry, or do I try to catch all the (nearly microscopic) fry? I'd kinda like to grow some out to sell down the road, so I don't want to have the parents eat them, nor do I want the other inhabitants (green terrors and convicts) to get them. Right now, the parents are protecting the fry quite fiercly, so I'm not sure what to do.

Any advice?
    H E L P !!
    Back to top Go down
    MarkM
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel
    MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

Fry Suprise!! Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Fry Suprise!!   Fry Suprise!! Icon_minitime8/24/2010, 10:32 pm

I like to siphon the fry out and raise them in a separate tank. You wind up with more fry and its easier to feed them.
    Back to top Go down
    unknown
    Second Lieutenant
    Second Lieutenant
    unknown

Fry Suprise!! Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Fry Suprise!!   Fry Suprise!! Icon_minitime8/24/2010, 10:41 pm

Guess I need to get a 10 set up quick for them. At least I've got some to work with. Then I'll start cycling something bigger for growing them out.
    Back to top Go down
    istrober
    istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

Fry Suprise!! Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Fry Suprise!!   Fry Suprise!! Icon_minitime8/25/2010, 6:18 am

Congratz!!, show some pics whe you can!... good
    Back to top Go down
    unknown
    Second Lieutenant
    Second Lieutenant
    unknown

Fry Suprise!! Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Fry Suprise!!   Fry Suprise!! Icon_minitime8/25/2010, 11:23 am

I'll try to get pics tonight. Not sure how well they'll turn out as tiny as the fry are. Of course, that is provided they are still there when I get home. I know those parents have to be getting tired keeping the other tank occupants away!!
    Back to top Go down

Fry Suprise!! Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Fry Suprise!!   Fry Suprise!! Icon_minitime8/25/2010, 3:43 pm

Yup use your gravel siphon tube and suck as many as you can out and dump them into a 10g. Wait about a week to do any water change on the fry, then about 15% should do.
    Congrats!
    Back to top Go down
    unknown
    Second Lieutenant
    Second Lieutenant
    unknown

Fry Suprise!! Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Fry Suprise!!   Fry Suprise!! Icon_minitime8/25/2010, 3:45 pm

Wife's freakin' out right now 'cause they are swimming around with the other tank occupants. Looks like I have some work ahead of me when I get home. lol!
    Back to top Go down

Fry Suprise!! Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Fry Suprise!!   Fry Suprise!! Icon_minitime8/25/2010, 4:36 pm

lol! sounds like it!
    Back to top Go down
    CajunGator
    CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

Fry Suprise!! Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Fry Suprise!!   Fry Suprise!! Icon_minitime8/25/2010, 5:25 pm

suprise, and Congratz all at the same time lol
    Back to top Go down
    unknown
    Second Lieutenant
    Second Lieutenant
    unknown

Fry Suprise!! Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Fry Suprise!!   Fry Suprise!! Icon_minitime8/25/2010, 9:16 pm

Well, when I got home, my wife (intensitti) had almost all the convicts and all the GT moved to another tank. She was worried that if we took the fry out, the parents would not develop their natural parenting skills. I got the rest of the convicts out, did a 10% water change in their tank and a 50% change in the tank the others went into and everyone seems to be doing fine.

Fry are swimming around the parents like a cloud!

I'll try to get some pics posted tomorrow.
    Back to top Go down
    BFinley
    Admin
    Admin
    BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

Fry Suprise!! Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Fry Suprise!!   Fry Suprise!! Icon_minitime8/26/2010, 8:08 am

Congratz!!!Can't wait to see some pics!! good
    Back to top Go down
    vgould
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Favorite Fish: : Fundulo Panchax Sjoestedti (Blue Gularis)

Fry Suprise!! Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Fry Suprise!!   Fry Suprise!! Icon_minitime8/26/2010, 8:21 am

Sometimes if the parents are alone with fry they will eat them. If there are other fish in the tank the parents try to protect the fry instead of eating them. Not sure why . . . Either way fry are safer in their own tank.
    Back to top Go down
    Jeepluv77
    Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
    Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
    Jeepluv77

Favorite Fish: : Species I've kept: Freshwater- Dwarf puffers and clown loaches. Saltwater- Volitans and Snowflake Moray

Species I'd love to keep one day- Freshwater- Rays. Saltwater- Bamboo/Cat Sharks

Fry Suprise!! Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Fry Suprise!!   Fry Suprise!! Icon_minitime8/26/2010, 9:20 am

Congrats and I hope it goes well. Keep us posted!
    Back to top Go down
    wildbeanerz
    Captain
    Captain
    wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

Fry Suprise!! Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Fry Suprise!!   Fry Suprise!! Icon_minitime8/26/2010, 9:34 am

Surprise & Congrats! Can't wait to see them!! :)
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

Fry Suprise!! Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Fry Suprise!!   Fry Suprise!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fry Suprise!!
    Page 1 of 1