UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

New Angel Fish Tank?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mlegion1988
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Mlegion1988

Favorite Fish: : Oscars, African Cichlids

New Angel Fish Tank? Empty
PostSubject: New Angel Fish Tank?   New Angel Fish Tank? Icon_minitime8/5/2010, 10:35 pm

So I just got (off of CL) a nice 40 gal. tank and was thinking to do angels. For 80 bucks I got the tank, a nice stand, and a hood and light.

I could use some advice for angels.

What kind of substrate should I use.
PH level?
Any additives (like I use cichlid salt for my Africans)
What kind of angels are great for starters?

I have a few days, I still have to set up the tank, prob. take a filter off of my other tank to get it cycled faster.

Thoughts, ideas?

I was also thinking of going discus's....

hmmm the possibilities........

Thanks!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Angel Fish Tank?   New Angel Fish Tank? Icon_minitime8/5/2010, 10:59 pm

I want to say that tank is too small, but you might get away with a mated pair in there. But the tank has to be deep enough to accommodate their fins.
I would not do discus in there, they just get too big.
Back to top Go down
Mlegion1988
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Mlegion1988

PostSubject: Re: New Angel Fish Tank?   New Angel Fish Tank? Icon_minitime8/5/2010, 11:19 pm

Its a 30 gal. tall tank, not a long.

Its 20x19x12.5
Back to top Go down
Mlegion1988
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Mlegion1988

PostSubject: Re: New Angel Fish Tank?   New Angel Fish Tank? Icon_minitime8/5/2010, 11:20 pm

Unfortunately I do not have room for another big tank, this is the max now, I need a bigger apartment lol mad
Back to top Go down
BLimon
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
BLimon

Favorite Fish: : *In my 10g Tank: 3 Lemon Tetras, 2 Zebra Danios, 3 Bleeding Heart Tetras and 1 Pleco.
*In my 55g Tank: 1-1" Gold Angelfish, 1-1" Marbled Angelfish, 2-2" Dwarf Gourami, and a 5" Pleco
*In my 29g Tank: a DIY 3D Background with IMAGINARY water & fish LOL

PostSubject: Re: New Angel Fish Tank?   New Angel Fish Tank? Icon_minitime8/6/2010, 1:02 am

I have 2 angels in my 55 tank and when i bought them the guy at the LFS said they shouldnt be in anything smaller than a 55 cause they tend to get pretty big. If you were to get some small angels to start until you can either swap them with other fish in other tanks or til you get a bigger tank i think it would be fine but I'm new here so dont take my word for it. My angels are in a community tank with 2 dwarf gouramis and a pleco and they seem to be living harmoniously.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: New Angel Fish Tank?   New Angel Fish Tank? Icon_minitime8/6/2010, 6:19 am

Fern wrote:
I want to say that tank is too small, but you might get away with a mated pair in there. But the tank has to be deep enough to accommodate their fins.
I would not do discus in there, they just get too big.

New Angel Fish Tank? 858205 btw the Ph levels are from 6.0 to 9.0 on the angel fish.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Angel Fish Tank?   New Angel Fish Tank? Icon_minitime8/6/2010, 9:23 am

Mlegion1988 wrote:

Its 20x19x12.5
Ok that's a definite no on discus or angles in there. They both reach the size of a large dinner plate and there is no turnaround room for them in that tank.
If your after funny shaped and/or colorful fish here are a few that would work in there; hatchet fish, long skirted tetra, kuhli loach, farowella catfish, long fin serpe tetras, hillstream loach, apistagrammas, any dwarf cichlid, African butterfly fish......
Back to top Go down
Mlegion1988
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Mlegion1988

PostSubject: Re: New Angel Fish Tank?   New Angel Fish Tank? Icon_minitime8/6/2010, 9:58 am

Fern wrote:
Mlegion1988 wrote:

Its 20x19x12.5
Ok that's a definite no on discus or angles in there. They both reach the size of a large dinner plate and there is no turnaround room for them in that tank.
If your after funny shaped and/or colorful fish here are a few that would work in there; hatchet fish, long skirted tetra, kuhli loach, farowella catfish, long fin serpe tetras, hillstream loach, apistagrammas, any dwarf cichlid, African butterfly fish......

Thats a good sounding idea too......... or I could use it to breed red cherry shrimp for some seafood salad for my fish....... lol
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

PostSubject: Re: New Angel Fish Tank?   New Angel Fish Tank? Icon_minitime8/6/2010, 1:48 pm

lol nice, wat fern told ya is the best way to do it.
Back to top Go down
intensitti
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
intensitti

Favorite Fish: : Angels and Discus

PostSubject: Re: New Angel Fish Tank?   New Angel Fish Tank? Icon_minitime8/6/2010, 2:01 pm

If you get small angels, bodies the size of a nickel or dime, you would be able to grow them out. I got juvies in January and they are now quarter sized bodies. Veil tails will take more room (height) than non-veils. They also like slow water. I keep my temps at 82 degrees. If you lower the temp to 76, they are not as active.

Discus are hard to raise from fry/juvies. I have had absolutely no luck with them.
Back to top Go down
Mlegion1988
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Mlegion1988

PostSubject: Re: New Angel Fish Tank?   New Angel Fish Tank? Icon_minitime8/6/2010, 10:13 pm

hmmmmm interesting, so the lower gph the better, I went to my lfs today (Uncle Ned's Fish Factory, love that place lol) He has ton of juvie angels, they are so pretty too.
Back to top Go down
intensitti
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
intensitti

PostSubject: Re: New Angel Fish Tank?   New Angel Fish Tank? Icon_minitime8/7/2010, 7:07 am

Juvies will take at least 7-8 months to grow out enough to start pairing off for breedig. I got my juvies in January and now I am beginning to notice pairing starting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Angel Fish Tank?   New Angel Fish Tank? Icon_minitime8/7/2010, 8:58 am

I still don't see angles working in that tank in the long run...... There are many other small cool fish that would be much happier in there in the long run.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Angel Fish Tank?   New Angel Fish Tank? Icon_minitime8/7/2010, 12:08 pm

I myself try not to impulse buy because I think a fish is pretty. I want to be sure the fish will have the correct enviornment for the fish to live and be comfortable and safe not just survive. I hate to say it but your tank is to small. You can "grow out" small in a small tank with a high risk of stunting their growth. There are many species of dwarf cichlids that would work well in the tank.
Back to top Go down
intensitti
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
intensitti

PostSubject: Re: New Angel Fish Tank?   New Angel Fish Tank? Icon_minitime8/7/2010, 1:52 pm

The hobby breeders that I have been to their house to see their tanks usually either have an adult pair in a 20 tall or a 55 gal divided into 3 sections. One section for each pair. The fish are happy and lay eggs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Angel Fish Tank?   New Angel Fish Tank? Icon_minitime8/7/2010, 2:01 pm

Breeding is a whole different situation. If they are a good breeder happy maybe alot of work yes! For a community not breeding situation you need a larger tank.
Back to top Go down
intensitti
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
intensitti

PostSubject: Re: New Angel Fish Tank?   New Angel Fish Tank? Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 8:10 am

Everyone has their own opinions. I do what works for me and I have my system setup. Fishes are happy. Angels are elegant and graceful fish. They have personalities.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Angel Fish Tank?   New Angel Fish Tank? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Angel Fish Tank?
Page 1 of 1