UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

New to the forums would like some info on cichlids

Go down 
+3
Holey Rock of Texas
CajunGator
Shagarion
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Shagarion
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : Pirahna's

New to the forums would like some info on cichlids Empty
PostSubject: New to the forums would like some info on cichlids   New to the forums would like some info on cichlids Icon_minitime7/4/2010, 8:18 pm

I am new to the forums so let me says a little about my self since that is what i was asked to do i'm 28 2 kids 3 and 1.5 yrs old -.- enough about that i have 2 75 gallon tanks 1 have a i guess black pirahna and the other has 3 1 male 2 female yellow labs/4 1 male 3 female electric blue hap the priahna is about 10 inches and i got the cichlids to breed for pirahna food not yet had babies my fish cichlids are about 4-6 months old the yellow labs anyway i was thinking they would be breeding by now but i have noticed my oldest yellow lab female staying to 1 corner of the tank all the way to the top her fins looked like they have been eaten and had white stuff hanging off her fins i figured that she had ick and fin rot so i went our to buy medicine for her when i got back i cound her in the castle its about 14"-15" tall and has has some top pieces broken off so fish can swim in it she is just hiding there comming out as much to see her mouth and thats it so i did the medicine about 3 hrs ago and she has yet to move will try to get a picture of her but was wondering if i was on the right track -.- my kids love the fish lol ty mike
Back to top Go down
Shagarion
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: New to the forums would like some info on cichlids   New to the forums would like some info on cichlids Icon_minitime7/4/2010, 8:44 pm

Ok so i took a picture only had cell phone camera but it works i guess So i had to take the castle out of the tank as soon as i did the the male went right over to her and dunno if he attacked her or what but after that he tried to do the lil breeding dance put the castle back in she went straight to it and back in the castle straight to the top she barely has he back fin

New to the forums would like some info on cichlids FemaleLab
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: New to the forums would like some info on cichlids   New to the forums would like some info on cichlids Icon_minitime7/4/2010, 8:48 pm

Welcome Mike. what medication did you use on that 75g tank? was only 1 fish with the white stuff on it or most of them? you may want to put her in a 10g and treat her with more meds with no decoration, so you can watch her close...
Please share some pics of the black piranha. bet he is awesome!!!!
Back to top Go down
Shagarion
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: New to the forums would like some info on cichlids   New to the forums would like some info on cichlids Icon_minitime7/4/2010, 9:20 pm

Shes the only one with the stuff on her altho now that she has swam i don't see it on here i treated her with Quick Cure from Aquarium Products its what the local fish store had and said would work -.- Fast relief for ick and protozoan parasites if you loo at the picture it looks likes hse's being eaten on her side thats the white spot this is the castle she hides in and the yellow sticking out of it is her i was thinking about moving her to another tank but i have read if i do that and its a breeding thing then when she is put back in she will lose her queen hood and be attacked by the other fish not sure tho hope i can get the help needed for my fish lol

The castle
New to the forums would like some info on cichlids Castle

This is the pirahna she is i think 3-4 yrs old
New to the forums would like some info on cichlids Blackpirahna

She is about 10 inches i think
currently have 30 feeders which will last her a week and for the first time she has a 6-7 inch gold fish in there for her dinner lol
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: New to the forums would like some info on cichlids   New to the forums would like some info on cichlids Icon_minitime7/4/2010, 11:35 pm

cool fish and glad to have you here!!!! in my experience yellow labs are not really aggressive but since your females is being attacked by your male to the point she is losing her fins i suggest that you do move her or you just might loss her. she is not really to breed but the male does not understand or care it seems. also they should be breeding by now. i suggest you change things up anyways.

how big were they when you got them?
Back to top Go down
Shagarion
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: New to the forums would like some info on cichlids   New to the forums would like some info on cichlids Icon_minitime7/5/2010, 7:58 am

When i purchased this female yellow lab and the male they were about 2.5-3.5 inches long they were in the tank together i purchased the female and then went back and got the male this has only begun to happenthe last 2-4 days.. i had 3 piranhas when i bought her went on vacation and one was found eaten then i moved where i am now my male had hardely no fins so i moved him to another tank where he died later after reading i come to find out it was a breeding process of the piranhas that the female has to make sure the male is strong enough to give her babies hence the whole i don't wanna remove her from the tank would it be better to remove him as there is another female in the tank about 2 inches she's just growing slow i figured
Back to top Go down
proyect01
Captain
Captain
proyect01

Favorite Fish: : Aulonocara species

PostSubject: Re: New to the forums would like some info on cichlids   New to the forums would like some info on cichlids Icon_minitime7/5/2010, 8:32 am

Welcome
If you want breed piranhas remember these only occur when the dry season ends and rains start so you need recreate the same in you aquarium I suggest change the sustrate add many and differents plants, wood, moderate ilumination and feeder fish like guppies, mosquito fish, plattys etc try to keep a good number allways thats my opinion I hope can help you
Pirates
Back to top Go down
Shagarion
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: New to the forums would like some info on cichlids   New to the forums would like some info on cichlids Icon_minitime7/5/2010, 8:40 am

i'm not breeding piranha's i was gonna to but the 1 i have left killed all my other one i am trying to breed cichlids and my yellow lab female has died so since it was my males fault i'm thinking he is gonna be piranha food so i'll have 4 electric blue haps and 1 yellow lab female
Back to top Go down
proyect01
Captain
Captain
proyect01

Favorite Fish: : Aulonocara species

PostSubject: Re: New to the forums would like some info on cichlids   New to the forums would like some info on cichlids Icon_minitime7/5/2010, 8:45 am

Ok and good luck !!!
New to the forums would like some info on cichlids 393849
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: New to the forums would like some info on cichlids   New to the forums would like some info on cichlids Icon_minitime7/5/2010, 8:50 am

welcome2
Back to top Go down
unknown
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
unknown

Favorite Fish: : You mean I gotta have a favorite??

PostSubject: Re: New to the forums would like some info on cichlids   New to the forums would like some info on cichlids Icon_minitime7/5/2010, 10:56 am

Welcome aboard!!

welcome
Back to top Go down
OldTanks
USA Fishbox Sponsor
OldTanks

Favorite Fish: : http://photobucket.com/oldtanks

PostSubject: Welcome Aboard!   New to the forums would like some info on cichlids Icon_minitime7/8/2010, 6:42 pm

Welcome Aboard!

Very nice people here, Feel free to post your questions to the forums, and photos to the gallery.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to the forums would like some info on cichlids   New to the forums would like some info on cichlids Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New to the forums would like some info on cichlids
Page 1 of 1