UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

How hard is it to keep seahorses compared to other saltwater fish?

Go down 
+4
Aquatics
S&FW_FishyFriend
nitty
Ghoulish_chaos
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

How hard is it to keep seahorses compared to other saltwater fish? Empty
PostSubject: How hard is it to keep seahorses compared to other saltwater fish?   How hard is it to keep seahorses compared to other saltwater fish? Icon_minitime3/12/2010, 6:51 pm

I am thinking about starting a seahorse tank. I was wondering how hard it is to keep them compared to other salt water fish?
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

Favorite Fish: : Mine:
110gal. Eclectochromis Lobochilus Hertae
56gal. Neolamprologus Brichardi

PostSubject: Re: How hard is it to keep seahorses compared to other saltwater fish?   How hard is it to keep seahorses compared to other saltwater fish? Icon_minitime3/12/2010, 7:04 pm

HARD

You'll have to feed often, pay very close attention to water quality, weekly water changes, no excessive water current and very calm tankmates. They like gorgonians
to hold on to. I had no luck and my pockets weren't deep enough to keep buying.
I was paying $45-$50 a seahorse. I had about 6, and none live over 2 months.

Good luck
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

PostSubject: Re: How hard is it to keep seahorses compared to other saltwater fish?   How hard is it to keep seahorses compared to other saltwater fish? Icon_minitime3/12/2010, 7:17 pm

The more that I research... the more I realize how hard it is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How hard is it to keep seahorses compared to other saltwater fish?   How hard is it to keep seahorses compared to other saltwater fish? Icon_minitime3/12/2010, 7:48 pm

All seahorses are endangered speices since May 15 1994. The only ones around are tank raised. Yes some still make it pass Fish and Wildlife. Yes they are the hardest speices to keep. Yes most die.
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

PostSubject: Re: How hard is it to keep seahorses compared to other saltwater fish?   How hard is it to keep seahorses compared to other saltwater fish? Icon_minitime3/13/2010, 10:47 am

If you're going to do seahorses, do a species specific tank, that's almost a neccessity. I talked to a guy that has kept them successfully before and he recommended the new Tetra Half-Moon 10 gallon tank. The filter it comes with doesn't put out a lot of flow which is a vital for them. Also the tank is tall without a very large foot print. I would probably recommend a protein skimmer add-on as well, but I've already been itching to buy that tank for that very purpose. If you've never done saltwater before, don't start with seahorses or you'll never do it again! Just a word of advice!
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

PostSubject: Re: How hard is it to keep seahorses compared to other saltwater fish?   How hard is it to keep seahorses compared to other saltwater fish? Icon_minitime3/20/2010, 1:56 am

Thanks for all the help. I worked at a saltwater store for about a year and managed around 15 tanks( with one being a 110...with the help of the owner of course.) So... I know the stress involved, but I just love sea horses. I am still trying to decide what I am going to do. Thanks again for all the advice.
Back to top Go down
Aquatics
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: How hard is it to keep seahorses compared to other saltwater fish?   How hard is it to keep seahorses compared to other saltwater fish? Icon_minitime4/12/2010, 11:06 am

I am new here, but
I love sea horses as well.... I have watched a male giving birth in tank before my eyes... Amazing...

Getting these guys to each is a big challange... the environment as well is a bit demanding. Controling water flow, allowing structure for them to hang on and keeping the correct mix of live stock in one small tank.

If anyone can keep seahorses alive and reproducing....let me know

thanks
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: How hard is it to keep seahorses compared to other saltwater fish?   How hard is it to keep seahorses compared to other saltwater fish? Icon_minitime4/12/2010, 11:08 am

GOODLUCK!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: How hard is it to keep seahorses compared to other saltwater fish?   How hard is it to keep seahorses compared to other saltwater fish? Icon_minitime4/12/2010, 11:09 am

Aquatics wrote:
I am new here, but
I love sea horses as well.... I have watched a male giving birth in tank before my eyes... Amazing...

Getting these guys to each is a big challange... the environment as well is a bit demanding. Controling water flow, allowing structure for them to hang on and keeping the correct mix of live stock in one small tank.

If anyone can keep seahorses alive and reproducing....let me know

thanks

Welcome to the forum.
Back to top Go down
igotatank
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : Most Saltwater Fish

PostSubject: Re: How hard is it to keep seahorses compared to other saltwater fish?   How hard is it to keep seahorses compared to other saltwater fish? Icon_minitime4/22/2010, 3:54 pm

do it. someday i will. seahorses are nice
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: How hard is it to keep seahorses compared to other saltwater fish?   How hard is it to keep seahorses compared to other saltwater fish? Icon_minitime6/2/2010, 10:57 pm

yes, but would definitly make an awesome tank! Maybe One Day... LOL
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

PostSubject: Re: How hard is it to keep seahorses compared to other saltwater fish?   How hard is it to keep seahorses compared to other saltwater fish? Icon_minitime6/3/2010, 2:01 am

I would love to have a seahorse tank.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How hard is it to keep seahorses compared to other saltwater fish?   How hard is it to keep seahorses compared to other saltwater fish? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How hard is it to keep seahorses compared to other saltwater fish?
Page 1 of 1