UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLog inRegisterFAQ
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

March Fish of the Month (Sorry it's late, but it's wierd!)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

March Fish of the Month (Sorry it's late, but it's wierd!) Empty
PostSubject: March Fish of the Month (Sorry it's late, but it's wierd!)   March Fish of the Month (Sorry it's late, but it's wierd!) Icon_minitime3/6/2010, 9:48 pm

Common name: African Lung Fish

Species name: Protopterus annectens annectens

Synonym: West African Lungfish

Family: Protopteridae (African lungfishes)

Order: Lepidosireniformes (South American and African lungfishes)

Class: Sarcopterygii

Maximum size: The largest can grow up to 6 feet/ 2 meters long.

Environment: Freshwater in African lakes that may dry up during drought seasons. They are capable of surviving in dried lake beds without water for up to 4 years. Their “lungs” are actually evolved swim bladders that have are used for processing oxygen without the need for water. They will bury themselves in the mud and cover their bodies with a secretion. While they can survive without water for extended periods of time, the longer without water the more stressful and detrimental to the fish population.

Origin: Africa. Senegal, Niger, Gambia, Volta and Chad basins

Temperament: Predatory and aggressive. They can and will attack much larger fish as well as smaller ones. They must be kept in a species specific tank with only one African Lung Fish to an aquarium. A very strong fish with a long, strong, eel-like body. They may even bite careless handlers and even though they do not have teeth their bites are rather strong even from a young age.

Compatible Fish: Ideally there are no compatible fish for the African Lung fish due to them eating anything and everything.

Water parameters:
Temperature: 70-78°F – (Temperature is not as important as keeping it constant)
pH: 6.0-8.0 Almost any is fine, but they do best in neutral to slightly acidic water.
Water Movement: None is needed.

Aquarium setup: Even with juvenile specimens a large tank is needed. They need a long tank (at least 6 feet long) and at least 90 gallons.

Feeding: African Lungfish are carnivores. They eat anything and everything meaty that they can catch. They can be trained to eat dry foods but this may take some effort because they prefer feeder fish.

Breeding: No one has been successful as of the date of the publication of this article in breeding these fish in home aquaria. It is difficult, if not impossible to sex individuals at this time.

Interesting Factoids: It can be difficult to find a nice looking specimen of African Lungfish in a Local Fish Store due to them being housed together and often times inflicting injuries on each other, even as juveniles, that cause permanent scarring of their bodies. They are heavily, heavily aggressive fish that are quite hardy but not very interesting aquatic creatures as they spend much of their time absolutely still and move very seldom. They are one of very few fish that you could do a 100% water change with them sill in the tank. They can survive with very low oxygen levels in the tank.

Much of this information is from the following sources:

http://www.lungfish.info/african.php

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/westafricanlungfish.php

March Fish of the Month (Sorry it's late, but it's wierd!) 2qn761s

March Fish of the Month (Sorry it's late, but it's wierd!) Zjj5tw
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: March Fish of the Month (Sorry it's late, but it's wierd!)   March Fish of the Month (Sorry it's late, but it's wierd!) Icon_minitime3/7/2010, 12:09 am

Wow ...can get 6 feet and agressive! Watch out for this guy!

**********USAfishbox.com*************

Expand the hobby!

Don't blame me, I voted RON PAUL !!

March Fish of the Month (Sorry it's late, but it's wierd!) CMSIG
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

PostSubject: Re: March Fish of the Month (Sorry it's late, but it's wierd!)   March Fish of the Month (Sorry it's late, but it's wierd!) Icon_minitime3/7/2010, 12:32 am

I almost adopted one off of craigslist, but didnt because I couldn't see myself house a mostly immobile fish in a 125 or larger tank... if he moved more then maybe.... but this is one of those kind of fish you gotta love in order to justify the space requirements... I like them, but until I have a fish mansion, not for me!
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: March Fish of the Month (Sorry it's late, but it's wierd!)   March Fish of the Month (Sorry it's late, but it's wierd!) Icon_minitime3/8/2010, 8:29 am

eeesh!
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: March Fish of the Month (Sorry it's late, but it's wierd!)   March Fish of the Month (Sorry it's late, but it's wierd!) Icon_minitime3/8/2010, 9:01 am

Awesome Post. very unusual fishy... Well Done.

March Fish of the Month (Sorry it's late, but it's wierd!) LSU_CajunGator
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: March Fish of the Month (Sorry it's late, but it's wierd!)   March Fish of the Month (Sorry it's late, but it's wierd!) Icon_minitime3/8/2010, 9:06 am

They are capable of surviving in dried lake beds without water for up to 4 years. Their “lungs” are actually evolved swim bladders that have are used for processing oxygen without the need for water. They will bury themselves in the mud and cover their bodies with a secretion.

yeah thats right ...read that again. WOW! This fish is crazy

Expand the hobby!

Don't blame me, I voted RON PAUL !!

Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

PostSubject: Re: March Fish of the Month (Sorry it's late, but it's wierd!)   March Fish of the Month (Sorry it's late, but it's wierd!) Icon_minitime3/16/2010, 1:26 am

Cajun and I found one of these for sell at LFS for 55 bucks. ( It was definitely a Lung fish.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: March Fish of the Month (Sorry it's late, but it's wierd!)   March Fish of the Month (Sorry it's late, but it's wierd!) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

March Fish of the Month (Sorry it's late, but it's wierd!)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: General :: Fish of the month-
Jump to: