UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

female jewel has eye issues

Go down 
+3
KMX
dano
philuponthepho
7 posters
AuthorMessage

female jewel has eye issues Empty
PostSubject: female jewel has eye issues   female jewel has eye issues Icon_minitime12/1/2009, 8:36 am

Ok when I fed this morning I saw that my female red jewels eye was all Greyish whiteish and protruding some.
I had male and female pair in a 10g with some fry for 2ish weeks with no issues. Sponge filter and a quartz egg rock for eggs no substrate and a few floating plants is the contents of the tank.
I moved the female into her own 10g this morning with a sponge filter and nothing else and am currently treating with methyl blue.

Any ideas on what it is or how it happened? She was fine last night. Any other things I should be doing? H E L P !!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: female jewel has eye issues   female jewel has eye issues Icon_minitime12/1/2009, 9:10 am

I will add some pics when I get home.
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

Favorite Fish: : Anything I can afford (which is $0)

PostSubject: Re: female jewel has eye issues   female jewel has eye issues Icon_minitime12/1/2009, 12:44 pm

Looks like the male pa pa pa poked her in the face (if you know what I mean LOL)

**Off topic, Lady GaGa was actually hot before she when berserko
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: female jewel has eye issues   female jewel has eye issues Icon_minitime12/2/2009, 8:58 am

I cant get pics due to the methyl blue in the water but it seems like she cant see at all with that eye as she turns to see food with the good eye. She is eating and doing ok except for her eye it seems like the outer film is full of fluid and it has protruded more over night.
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

PostSubject: Re: female jewel has eye issues   female jewel has eye issues Icon_minitime12/6/2009, 2:12 pm

Foggy protruding eyes are usually a symptom of a bacterial infection......Since you have the fish isolated, I would use Maracin or MaracinII.......Check the water quality of the tank the fish came from.....Most disease in fish is caused by poor water quality.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: female jewel has eye issues   female jewel has eye issues Icon_minitime12/6/2009, 6:04 pm

dano wrote:
Foggy protruding eyes are usually a symptom of a bacterial infection......Since you have the fish isolated, I would use Maracin or MaracinII.......Check the water quality of the tank the fish came from.....Most disease in fish is caused by poor water quality.

female jewel has eye issues 858205
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: female jewel has eye issues   female jewel has eye issues Icon_minitime12/6/2009, 9:19 pm

I second that!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: female jewel has eye issues   female jewel has eye issues Icon_minitime12/7/2009, 8:07 am

I had done a 50% WC 2 days before on the tank.
She seems to be doing better, its still cloudy but isn't swollen any more.
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

PostSubject: Re: female jewel has eye issues   female jewel has eye issues Icon_minitime12/7/2009, 11:07 am

Many will disagree with this: Water changes above 25% of visible volume of water can be harmful to fish and the bio system.....Unless the water you are placing back into the tank is closely matched to that taken out, the fish and bio system can be stressed or even subjected to osmotic shock..........................10 to 15% water changes are better and can be done every two days to dilute problems.

You have to consider that the fish and bacteria become acclimated to slowly deteriorating water conditions and sudden changes with the addition of new water can be a shock.....Rapid changes in the TDS of the water disturbs osmoregulation.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: female jewel has eye issues   female jewel has eye issues Icon_minitime12/7/2009, 11:15 am

Yes I will agree with that when the water changes are few and far between. I do weekly changes though. Usually the changes are 25% but I had someone feeding my fish over the weekend so all my tanks got a heavy WC before hand.
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

PostSubject: Re: female jewel has eye issues   female jewel has eye issues Icon_minitime12/7/2009, 12:58 pm

Water changing is a subject of great debate.....There is nothing written in stone about how much or how often...............I have been one of the fortunate few that have a reasonably good supply of tap water......Many do not and should use caution when changing their water...............Until recently, no consideration was made for the general quality of one's tap water...Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) and it's relationship to stressing fish and bio systems was of little importance.......The science of fish keeping has advanced and the data is slow in getting to the general fish keeping public.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: female jewel has eye issues   female jewel has eye issues Icon_minitime12/10/2009, 8:44 am

I will be taking a sample of my tap water for full analysis at the health department soon, I will post the test results after.

She seems to be doing 75% better, the swelling is gone and her eye is only a little cloudy and she seems to be able to see from it some now.
The male keeps looking everywhere for her..... Its kinda sad.......
Back to top Go down
Rachael0805
Captain
Captain
Rachael0805

Favorite Fish: : Red Devil, Red Terror, Green Terror...

PostSubject: Re: female jewel has eye issues   female jewel has eye issues Icon_minitime12/10/2009, 1:42 pm

I know what you mean, I had to separate a male and female once and he seemed upset about it lol. She was fine with it though. Im glad her eye is doing better, its always good when you can see them getting better.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: female jewel has eye issues   female jewel has eye issues Icon_minitime12/10/2009, 2:27 pm

I'm wondering if I need to wait till she is fully healed to put her back with the male? Its just them and a few fry in the tank.
Back to top Go down
Rachael0805
Captain
Captain
Rachael0805

PostSubject: Re: female jewel has eye issues   female jewel has eye issues Icon_minitime12/10/2009, 3:05 pm

I would just to be safe. Its better to be safe just in case its something that can be passed on.
Back to top Go down
chicknefoot87
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
chicknefoot87

Favorite Fish: : Goldfish and Koi! I have to represent for the serious goldfish hobbyist.

PostSubject: Re: female jewel has eye issues   female jewel has eye issues Icon_minitime12/10/2009, 5:28 pm

It looks like you figured out the problem, but i wanted to post this anyway. It might help people in the future.

Pop-Eye
http://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/dec07/fish-popeye.htm
Back to top Go down
Rachael0805
Captain
Captain
Rachael0805

PostSubject: Re: female jewel has eye issues   female jewel has eye issues Icon_minitime12/10/2009, 9:54 pm

Good luck with everything and let us know how everything goes. Put up some pics!
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

Favorite Fish: : South American Ciclids and plecos. I will always love my bettas but have moved on.

PostSubject: Re: female jewel has eye issues   female jewel has eye issues Icon_minitime12/12/2009, 8:21 am

I had a Cory get 2 pop eyes and a swollen face. She was like this right after I added some ich meds. I did a 60% wc (I do large wc never had a problem) I did daily 30% wc no meds. I thought she was a goner. But after a few days it was 100% better.

Keep the water clean and keep her in th Qt tank less stress is best.
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

PostSubject: Re: female jewel has eye issues   female jewel has eye issues Icon_minitime12/12/2009, 10:24 am

Just out of curiosity: Is your water from a well or a municipality?......Do you know the pH, DH, KH, and/or purifying chemicals used?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: female jewel has eye issues   female jewel has eye issues Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

female jewel has eye issues
Page 1 of 1