UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Cichlid (Cichlasoma octofasciatum var.)

Go down 
+14
istrober
Paintguy
Elrollo
bcijoe
discuskent
ilicurtisili
philuponthepho
cichlid mania
glostik
Rachael0805
ricardorocks
snowflake311
rfish
nitty
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Cichlid (Cichlasoma octofasciatum var.) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Cichlid (Cichlasoma octofasciatum var.)   Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Cichlid (Cichlasoma octofasciatum var.) - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/9/2009, 7:37 am

First topic message reminder :

Adult:
Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Cichlid (Cichlasoma octofasciatum var.) - Page 3 EBJD

Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Cichlid (Cichlasoma octofasciatum var.) - Page 3 Ebjd2

Young (same fish):
Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Cichlid (Cichlasoma octofasciatum var.) - Page 3 0809090905-1

Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Cichlid (Cichlasoma octofasciatum var.) - Page 3 0809090906-1

Size - 8 inches
pH - 7.0
Temp. - 75 degrees Fahrenheit
Minimum Tank Size - 55 Gallons
Origin - Guatemala, Honduras, Yucatan
Diet - Frozen and Pelleted food including bloodworms, brine shrimp, and cichlid pellets
Care Level - Intermediate
Temperament - Moderately Aggressive

The Electric Blue Jack Dempsey is a variant of the common Jack Dempsey, part of the cichlid family of fish. It gets is name from the brilliant coloration that it presents as it enters adulthood. Many have speculated as to whether this fish is a hybrid fish formed from another fish breeding or whether it comes from a naturally occurring gene that would be produced in nature. Both sides have good arguments. However, I tend to lean towards the gene for two reasons. One, because it can be reproduced by breeding an Electric Blue with an Electric Blue Gene carrier, and two, because it carries all of the same rituals and habits of the normal Jack Dempsey and because of it's color, would not be found in nature because it would stick out like a sore thumb to both the parent who would cull the different looking ones and to a predator who finds the colorful and weaker ones easier meals.

The Electric Blue Jack Dempsey has a milder manner than the normal Jack Dempsey. However, don't let that fool you from thinking it will not still hold up to it's name. They still can hold their own. EBJD's, as some people abbreviate, are not easy to breed because the Blue fry are very weak and susceptible to diseases, especially early on in their life. Much care must be taken when young to ensure their survival and health. It is also difficult because in order to produce blue fry you must first cross a normal Jack Dempsey with an EBJD and then breed the fry, who are Blue Gene carriers, back with an EBJD to produce Electric Blue fry. Two EBJD's bred together will produce extremely weak fry who will die once hatched in a very short time. To ensure a stronger strain, it is suggested that you breed the first batch of Blue Gene carrier fry with an EBJD other than the parent to prevent inbreeding problems.

With all of that being said, I have found this to be one of, if not, my favorite fish to keep in the hobby because of it's brilliant colors and rarity. Please do note that if you plan on keeping one, I've found that it is best to keep your EBJD with the opposite sex normal Jack Dempsey or with another Electric Blue of the same size to keep them from hiding all the time. Mine was very shy until I introduced her to a mate. Now she roams the whole tank most of the day and is much more active. Enjoy!
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
CSnyder00

Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Cichlid (Cichlasoma octofasciatum var.) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Cichlid (Cichlasoma octofasciatum var.)   Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Cichlid (Cichlasoma octofasciatum var.) - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/5/2013, 10:30 pm

They are one in the same. The fry don't have the dark blue color adults do. I'm finally going to bite the bullet and try to breed. I just picked up a male fry a few weeks ago. BTW, the comment about growth rate is probably due to how long they were kept in the fish stores. Having them in such small places can stunt growth. I try to get them as young as possible.
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Cichlid (Cichlasoma octofasciatum var.)   Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Cichlid (Cichlasoma octofasciatum var.) - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/8/2013, 5:30 pm

Are they harder to take care of?usafishbox usafishbox 
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Cichlid (Cichlasoma octofasciatum var.)   Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Cichlid (Cichlasoma octofasciatum var.) - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/8/2013, 7:51 pm

A little. Since they stick out, you have to grow out the EBJD's before you bring in or introduce regular Dempseys, and they must be smaller. A normal Jack Dempsey would eat one alive unless it is of the opposite sex and they have paired up. I learned the hard way a few times.
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Cichlid (Cichlasoma octofasciatum var.)   Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Cichlid (Cichlasoma octofasciatum var.) - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/9/2013, 8:52 am

I had got one about 2" one time and he lasted only 3 months and was in a tank by himself! then one morning went to check on him and he was belly up! I checked the water and it was fine so I don't know what happened?usafishbox 
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Cichlid (Cichlasoma octofasciatum var.)   Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Cichlid (Cichlasoma octofasciatum var.) - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/9/2013, 5:17 pm

They can be weak when younger, depending on how they were bred. It may have just been a weaker fish. Usually once they are out of the fry stage, though, they are fine.
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Cichlid (Cichlasoma octofasciatum var.)   Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Cichlid (Cichlasoma octofasciatum var.) - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/9/2013, 7:26 pm

I would love to get some more but no tank space right now!usafishbox 
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Cichlid (Cichlasoma octofasciatum var.)   Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Cichlid (Cichlasoma octofasciatum var.) - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/10/2013, 9:30 am

Buy another tank! That's always my answer (until my wife says no).
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Cichlid (Cichlasoma octofasciatum var.)   Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Cichlid (Cichlasoma octofasciatum var.) - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/10/2013, 3:31 pm

The next tank is for something else! lol! usafishbox 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Cichlid (Cichlasoma octofasciatum var.)   Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Cichlid (Cichlasoma octofasciatum var.) - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Cichlid (Cichlasoma octofasciatum var.)
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3