UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLog inRegisterFAQ
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help

Go down 
AuthorMessage
sama98
Private First Class
Private First Class
sama98

Favorite Fish: : Red Tailed Shark and Snowflake Pleco.

Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help Empty
PostSubject: Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help   Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help Icon_minitime2/27/2013, 3:23 pm

Hello, I have had my 20g. tank since October of 2012 and everything has been great... Until now... We have just lost 14 fish and counting, I have no idea what went wrong. Please ask if you need more info.

Thanks,
Sama98
Back to top Go down
sama98
Private First Class
Private First Class
sama98

PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help   Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help Icon_minitime2/27/2013, 3:31 pm

More Info for Previous Post

We have recently done a water change since the water became cloudy due to algae, but that did not help. We are to afriad to put any algae removing chemicals in the tank but otherwise all readings are good. It seems to have mainly affected the Zebra Danios and the Black Phasntom Tetras b/c it totally wiped all of them out. It also got a hatchet fish and a dwarf gourami. I hope that this helps!
Back to top Go down
sama98
Private First Class
Private First Class
sama98

PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help   Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help Icon_minitime2/27/2013, 3:41 pm

The count is now up to 15 fish

Back to top Go down
sama98
Private First Class
Private First Class
sama98

PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help   Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help Icon_minitime2/27/2013, 5:21 pm

Someone please respond

Also, should I get a quarentine tank???
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

Favorite Fish: : Jack Dempsey...Red Tail Shark... Severum... Raphael Cat...Cardinals...Cory's... Hy511's There are many more as well

PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help   Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help Icon_minitime2/27/2013, 6:19 pm

Quarantine tanks are good to have. With what you have said I have no clue. Were there tattered fins? Did the temperature change rapidly? Have you changed filter media? Do you have city water?
Back to top Go down
sama98
Private First Class
Private First Class
sama98

PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help   Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help Icon_minitime2/27/2013, 7:56 pm

There were no tattered fins. Temperature has been at a constant of 78. I have changed my filter cartridge and gave a half water change 4 days ago due to cloudy water caused by algae. And yes I have city water but I treat with API Stress Coat.

Thanks for Replying!!!
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

Favorite Fish: : Jack Dempsey...Red Tail Shark... Severum... Raphael Cat...Cardinals...Cory's... Hy511's There are many more as well

PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help   Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help Icon_minitime2/27/2013, 8:00 pm

How much water did you change? Was the algae green or brown? Usually algae does not make the tank cloudy, if you wipe it off the glass the water gets a dirty but I have never had algae cause cloudiness in my water. Did you vacuum the gravel or just change it by dipping the water out?
Back to top Go down
sama98
Private First Class
Private First Class
sama98

PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help   Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help Icon_minitime2/27/2013, 8:03 pm

We changed 10g (Half tank), the algae is green, and we vacuumed the gravel
Back to top Go down
sama98
Private First Class
Private First Class
sama98

PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help   Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help Icon_minitime2/27/2013, 8:05 pm

The algae is not forming on the glass, it is just forming on everything else! Well not everything
Back to top Go down
sama98
Private First Class
Private First Class
sama98

PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help   Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help Icon_minitime2/27/2013, 8:06 pm

What else could be clouding the water
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help   Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help Icon_minitime2/27/2013, 8:09 pm

Well sounds like you have took the necessary steps. Don't have a clue what happened to them... If all the ph was normal range and no ammonia I am stumped. Could be high nitrate levels. You might not have a kit for nitrate testing but stores sell them. Ammonia bloom could be why it was cloudy. THat typically happens in a new tank. Did all 14 die in a day or 2 or was it over a week to 2 week period?
Back to top Go down
sama98
Private First Class
Private First Class
sama98

PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help   Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help Icon_minitime2/27/2013, 8:12 pm

All ph and ammonia was normal do not have nitrate tester, will get one. All fish died in a 20 hr period
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help   Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help Icon_minitime2/27/2013, 8:15 pm

I would guess it was a high nitrate level most likely. I have had that issue in the past and the ammonia was fine but high nitrates. I did not lose mine that fast but I had a bigger tank as well.
Back to top Go down
sama98
Private First Class
Private First Class
sama98

PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help   Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help Icon_minitime2/27/2013, 8:17 pm

Oh ok then thank you for your help! Will test nitrate soon. No more fish have died since though
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help   Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help Icon_minitime2/27/2013, 8:17 pm

After a 50% water change my fish perked up as well and none died since.
Back to top Go down
sama98
Private First Class
Private First Class
sama98

PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help   Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help Icon_minitime2/27/2013, 8:23 pm

Thanks again! Hopefully that will be the answer to the problem
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help   Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help Icon_minitime2/27/2013, 8:24 pm

You're welcome, glad to help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help   Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Aquarium Emergency!!! Please Help
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: Freshwater Aquaria :: General Freshwater Fish Discussion-
Jump to: