UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

CaribSea sands

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
sallywally
Private First Class
Private First Class

Favorite Fish: : Tons - freshwater, no cichlids or salt yet. I have these tanks: 30 gal - tetras (neon, bloodfin, diamond, one Bosemani rainbow female
20 gal high - 6 choprae danio, cycling, mostly done
10 gal quarantine - 1 turquoise, 1 macie and 2 dwarf Rainbows, 3 black kuhli loarches quarantine from a tank that had gotten sick; will go into my community tetra tank and the 20 high when all is confirmed to be ok.
Have set up my 20 gal long for an oranda goldfish; she'd be in there now if the store hadn't dropped her and now we don't know if she'll make it....look to put two orandas in my 40 breeder when I get it set up!
Also looking at getting a 27 gal cube and stand on sale and Petsmart but don't know where I'd put it!

CaribSea sands Empty
PostSubject: CaribSea sands   CaribSea sands Icon_minitime8/29/2012, 1:07 am

I've read great reviews of both; the Super Naturals seem to require quite a bit of washing. Is there any reason to choose it over the other anyway?

Back to top Go down
sallywally
Private First Class
Private First Class

Favorite Fish: : Tons - freshwater, no cichlids or salt yet. I have these tanks: 30 gal - tetras (neon, bloodfin, diamond, one Bosemani rainbow female
10 gal quarantine - 1 turquoise, 1 macie and 2 dwarf Rainbows, 3 black kuhli loarches quarantine from a tank that had gotten sick; will go into my community tetra tank and the 20 high when all is confirmed to be ok.
Have set up my 20 gal long for an oranda goldfish; she'd be in there now if the store hadn't dropped her and now we don't know if she'll make it....look to put two orandas in my 40 breeder when I get it set up!
Also looking at getting a 27 gal cube and stand on sale and Petsmart but don't know where I'd put it!

CaribSea sands Empty
PostSubject: CaribSea sands #2   CaribSea sands Icon_minitime8/29/2012, 1:14 am

It looks like not everything came through on the previous message.

I'm looking at CaribSea Instant Aquarium Moonlight(white) Beach (something like that) with the bacteria-laden water vs the CaribSea Super Naturals white sand. The latter seems to require a fair amount of washing, per reviews I've read.

Is there a reason to pick it anyway?
Back to top Go down
sallywally
Private First Class
Private First Class

CaribSea sands Empty
PostSubject: Re: CaribSea sands   CaribSea sands Icon_minitime8/29/2012, 5:09 pm

The two kinds of sand are sold by different stores, so I can't get a direct comparison of reviews to figure it out.

Oh well!
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

CaribSea sands Empty
PostSubject: Re: CaribSea sands   CaribSea sands Icon_minitime8/30/2012, 11:57 pm

What are you trying to do with the products?
Back to top Go down
sallywally
Private First Class
Private First Class

CaribSea sands Empty
PostSubject: Re: CaribSea sands   CaribSea sands Icon_minitime8/31/2012, 11:33 am

I want to change to white sand to:
  • provide Penelope the chance to put sand in her mouth and spit it out as goldfish and others seem to like doing;
    lighten up the tank;
    allow food to stay on the top of the substrate, easier for her to get her food than with the large pebbles that lightly cover the bottom and that I'm afraid may be a little difficult on her face;
    have a better substrate to secure the plants;
    if I can vacuum with my Eheim vacuum, it will be easier to keep the tank cleaner between water changes;
    make it easier for the Malaysian trumpet snails to get around and in the substrate

I also would like to provide help in cycling, which I think the instant aquarium sand would do, because I have seen that some people have White Mountain minnows in their goldfish tanks and that might be fun to see, but I assume they'd need a little more cycled tank than the goldfish. The only problem I've had is that when I've used the black Eco-Complete there has been black dust coming up forever. I ended up tearing down a tank full of it because it always looked murky.

One person said the white sand with the good bacteria in it had a milky tone for awhile. I'd not really like that; I want it clear as I can get it.

I've ordered the sand with the good bacteria water, but I can return at the local Petco, and the plain sand is in the store at PetSmart.

If I like the sand, I may use it in the 40 gal breeder when I set it up.

Eventually I'd like to give Penelope an Oranda buddy, probably a red and black with fun markings and a gentle but cute personality, but she's pretty happy with her tank right now and maybe I want to wait until I can put her into a bigger tank.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

CaribSea sands Empty
PostSubject: Re: CaribSea sands   CaribSea sands Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CaribSea sands
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: Freshwater Aquaria :: Chemistry and Aquarium Equipment-
Jump to: