UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

40 gallon breeder

Go down 
+6
Holey Rock of Texas
Dr. Who
Mr. Jumperstein
sassynurse2
KingBichir
strawman1985
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
strawman1985
strawman1985

Favorite Fish: : Jack Dempsey...Red Tail Shark... Severum... Raphael Cat...Cardinals...Cory's... Hy511's There are many more as well

40 gallon breeder - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/13/2012, 6:52 pm

First topic message reminder :

I just got home with my 40 gallon breeder...Its gonna be an african cichlid tank unless I am told that it is not big enough. Any thoughts, ideas?
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
strawman1985

PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/18/2012, 10:11 pm

I was just looking up the bumblebee and thought he might too big... Here is what I looking at... Let me get some opinions.. Labidochromis caeruleus, Steveni Taiwan, maingano, Pseudotropheus acei, SRT hongi, Aulonocara stuartgranti, julies... Anything in this group a bad idea?
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/19/2012, 10:32 pm

Peacocks and haps will get to big for a 40b! I had a hongi male that was 6"! The labs and acei and julies and mainganos usafishbox should be ok!
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

Favorite Fish: : Jack Dempsey...Red Tail Shark... Severum... Raphael Cat...Cardinals...Cory's... Hy511's There are many more as well

PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/19/2012, 10:34 pm

Thank you very much BFinley!! One last question. After the tank has cycled am I better to get them all at once? I have a local store I want to get some at, but they may not have all I want, and if they dont have them, I will order them online.
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/20/2012, 9:44 pm

You can start with a few,but when you go to add more then put like 5 or so at one time! Might want to rearrange the the tank so the fish that are already in there won't pick on the new fish! usafishbox
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/20/2012, 9:52 pm

Awesome, thanks for the tip!! Much appreciative!!!
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/20/2012, 9:54 pm

Anytime buddy! Post some pics when you get a chance! usafishbox
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/20/2012, 10:52 pm

I sure will...Gonna order a pump and heater from kens on Monday... Cutting the board and getting sand tomorrow. Will hopefully start cycling this week!!
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/21/2012, 11:19 am

What kind of sand are you gonna use? usafishbox
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/21/2012, 11:22 am

I plan on getting pool filter sand. Most likely will get it at Lowes Home Improvement.
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/21/2012, 11:25 am

Cool!Thats what I use!I get mine from home depot!Its quickrete brand at home depot!I like it beeter then the old pavestone brand that they use to carry! usafishbox
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/21/2012, 11:34 am

So have you decided on what cichlids your gonna get? usafishbox
Back to top Go down
KingBichir
Admin
Admin
KingBichir

Favorite Fish: : all of them

PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/21/2012, 12:12 pm

I only have my pair of buffalo heads in my 40b. But I have had all kinds of stuff in there. Manganos would be cool in there
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/21/2012, 2:52 pm

I got quikrete all purpose. What is the best way to clean this stuff? lol
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/21/2012, 3:39 pm

Use 5g buckets!I never clean mine,but thats just me! usafishbox
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/21/2012, 3:55 pm

So you just put it in there and let the pump do the work?
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/21/2012, 11:16 pm

Yep that's what I do! I never had a problem doing it that way! Depending on your filtration it doesn't take long to clear! You still have to let it cycle though! usafishbox
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/21/2012, 11:20 pm

Thats what I have been doing today...not clear yet but it looks better...
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/21/2012, 11:22 pm

What kind of filter you got usafishbox
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/21/2012, 11:24 pm

Its an old power filter I got from Wal Mart years ago... Aquaclear maybe? Ive cleaned the filters once already and will again before going to bed if I go to bed...
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/21/2012, 11:31 pm

Its probably a aqua-tec or something like that can't remember what ts called! I know it's not a aquaclear walmart doesn't sell that brand! Is it the double one or single one? usafishbox
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/21/2012, 11:32 pm

Yes that is the name lol...It is a double... Its actually been a great filter lol!!!
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/21/2012, 11:35 pm

There good filters for the money! Marineland makes them! It should be clear I a day or 2 except for the cycling part! usafishbox
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/21/2012, 11:36 pm

Im gonna be buying an Aqueon soon from Kens...I stole this one from my goldfish and gave him an airstone...
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/21/2012, 11:40 pm

Get a aquaclear 70! There a whole lot better than aqueon and kens has them on sell right now! I would even put a couple of sponge filters in there too,but that's just me! usafishbox
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/21/2012, 11:45 pm

Ok thanks for the advice!!!
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/21/2012, 11:51 pm

Welcome! When are the pics coming? lol! usafishbox
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

40 gallon breeder
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next