UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLog inRegisterFAQ
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

40 gallon breeder

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
strawman1985
strawman1985

Favorite Fish: : Jack Dempsey...Red Tail Shark... Severum... Raphael Cat...Cardinals...Cory's... Hy511's There are many more as well

40 gallon breeder Empty
PostSubject: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder Icon_minitime7/13/2012, 6:52 pm

I just got home with my 40 gallon breeder...Its gonna be an african cichlid tank unless I am told that it is not big enough. Any thoughts, ideas?
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

Favorite Fish: : Jack Dempsey...Red Tail Shark... Severum... Raphael Cat...Cardinals...Cory's... Hy511's There are many more as well

40 gallon breeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder Icon_minitime7/13/2012, 10:49 pm

Anyone who has one, what did you use as a stand?
Back to top Go down
KingBichir
Admin
Admin
KingBichir

Favorite Fish: : all of them

40 gallon breeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder Icon_minitime7/14/2012, 1:18 am

i used a desk before i built a stand

**********USAfishbox.com*************

40 gallon breeder New8_crop
40 gallon breeder CMSIG
40 gallon breeder CAST-Sig
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

40 gallon breeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder Icon_minitime7/14/2012, 1:20 am

I was thinking about checking Good will tomorrow to see if they have anything...might see if a friend at church would be interested in helping me make one.
Back to top Go down
sassynurse2
sassynurse2

Favorite Fish: : 2 Clown Loaches...
Blue Dolphins 10.

40 gallon breeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder Icon_minitime7/14/2012, 9:16 am

I used a dresser as well.

40 gallon breeder 395554 40 gallon breeder CMSIG
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

40 gallon breeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder Icon_minitime7/14/2012, 2:04 pm

I think I know the answer but I found a cabinet that is 36x14... Aquarium is 36x18... Would this work if I left 2 inches in the back hanging off and 2 in the front? If it would work, what a great inexpensive investment. If it does not then a new plan I suppose.
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

40 gallon breeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder Icon_minitime7/14/2012, 3:49 pm

40 gallon breeder Imag0610

This is what it looks like right now...
Back to top Go down
Mr. Jumperstein
Private
Private
Mr. Jumperstein

Favorite Fish: : Cichlasoma festae
Cyphotilapia frontosa
Malawi Africans
Asian Aros
Oscars
Stars and stripes puffers
The list goes on

40 gallon breeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder Icon_minitime7/14/2012, 4:45 pm

Personally, I would get a bigger stand. You may also get away with a nice thick sheet of wood to set between the stand and tank to ensure adequate support on all four coroners. Would be a cheap mod. Just my opinion. Then again I'm an OCD over doer when it comes to my tanks. :-)
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

40 gallon breeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder Icon_minitime7/14/2012, 4:47 pm

The sheet of wood was what I was thinking. Its very sturdy cabinet and I only invested $3 on it at the Salvation Army. Hopeful to get some more opinions too...I am not in a huge rush to do it as I would like to have it in the main room especially if I get African cichlids in it.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Jumperstein
Private
Private
Mr. Jumperstein

Favorite Fish: : Cichlasoma festae
Cyphotilapia frontosa
Malawi Africans
Asian Aros
Oscars
Stars and stripes puffers
The list goes on

40 gallon breeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder Icon_minitime7/14/2012, 4:56 pm

strawman1985 wrote:
The sheet of wood was what I was thinking. Its very sturdy cabinet and I only invested $3 on it at the Salvation Army. Hopeful to get some more opinions too...I am not in a huge rush to do it as I would like to have it in the main room especially if I get African cichlids in it.

You can't beat $3.00, however if your not in a rush and will have it in the main room, I suggest holding off and getting the right stand. Use this cabinet for a smaller tank maybe?
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

40 gallon breeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder Icon_minitime7/14/2012, 5:56 pm

I wont be able to afford the right stand for quite some time, I like how it looks together honestly. I live in an apartment, nothing fancy would be for my pleasure. I have a fish room where it could also live. In the living room I currently have a tank with an injured goldfish and 2 weather loaches. I would much rather have something in there than my rescue tank. Haha!!! All my other tanks have are up and running on stands as well.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

40 gallon breeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder Icon_minitime7/14/2012, 6:34 pm

Strawman Question is do you think that cabinet can hold 400 pounds?
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

40 gallon breeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder Icon_minitime7/14/2012, 6:36 pm

I put 400 lbs on it and it did not make any shifts or noise... its solid wood, not particle board.

Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

40 gallon breeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder Icon_minitime7/14/2012, 6:38 pm

Well it might have not quite been 400 but it was close...I think the stand is plenty strong...my concern is for the tank hanging off the sides...
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

40 gallon breeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder Icon_minitime7/14/2012, 6:49 pm

I saw you mention using a piece of plywood. If the wood is 3/4 or thicker and aquarium sits on the plywood you should be ok. 400 pounds is water weight and tank and some gravel. If you add rocks then it will wieght more. Cut the plywood a 1/2" bigger than aquarium. That will give you a 1/4" per side extra.
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

40 gallon breeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder Icon_minitime7/14/2012, 6:51 pm

Thanks a bunch!!
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

40 gallon breeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder Icon_minitime7/14/2012, 6:54 pm

your welcome and good luck
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

40 gallon breeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder Icon_minitime7/14/2012, 6:55 pm

I appreciate it, looks like I will be wood shopping soon.
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

40 gallon breeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder Icon_minitime7/15/2012, 1:36 pm

Got my wood today...may be cutting it tomorrow. Im excited!! Anyone know where I can get pool filter sand for the best price. I have looked on lowes.com and amazon.com
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

40 gallon breeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder Icon_minitime7/16/2012, 10:19 pm

I have not even purchased a fish or anything but I am already going African Cichlid crazy!!!
Back to top Go down
sassynurse2
sassynurse2

Favorite Fish: : 2 Clown Loaches...
Blue Dolphins 10.

40 gallon breeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder Icon_minitime7/17/2012, 5:44 pm

Hope it works out for you!!!!

40 gallon breeder 395554 40 gallon breeder CMSIG
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

40 gallon breeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder Icon_minitime7/17/2012, 8:04 pm

Me too, Im just trying to remain calm and patient... Another question everyone...What type of Africans should I look for with a tank this size?
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

40 gallon breeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder Icon_minitime7/18/2012, 12:11 pm

strawman1985 wrote:
Me too, Im just trying to remain calm and patient... Another question everyone...What type of Africans should I look for with a tank this size?

most will work. i have kept SRT hongi, juvies, small group of cyps (male pens the girls in the corner so i do not recommend this.) shellies, julies, etc. the possibilities are endless lol.

40 gallon breeder Sig-HoleyRockcopy

www.holeyrockoftexas.com
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

40 gallon breeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder Icon_minitime7/18/2012, 9:45 pm

Don't get bumble bee cichlid they get to big! usafishbox

40 gallon breeder CMSIG

Say hello to my little friend

usafishbox usafishbox usafishbox usafishbox
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

40 gallon breeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder Icon_minitime7/18/2012, 10:11 pm

I was just looking up the bumblebee and thought he might too big... Here is what I looking at... Let me get some opinions.. Labidochromis caeruleus, Steveni Taiwan, maingano, Pseudotropheus acei, SRT hongi, Aulonocara stuartgranti, julies... Anything in this group a bad idea?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

40 gallon breeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: 40 gallon breeder   40 gallon breeder Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

40 gallon breeder
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: Freshwater Aquaria :: General Freshwater Fish Discussion-
Jump to: