Freshwater & Saltwater Aquatics Club
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!

Freshwater & Saltwater Aquatics Club

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

HomeForumLog inRegisterFAQ
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Share | 

LOSS OF APPETITE

Go down 
AuthorMessage
BERNZ
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : Marine fish--but since my house was completely destroyed by my 100 gallon aquarium causing a fire, I have since gone to cichlids.

PostSubject: LOSS OF APPETITE   3/17/2012, 10:17 am

MY CICHLIDS APPROXIMATELY 6 INCHES EACH HAVE SUDDENLY STOPPED EATING--WATER READINGS ARE RIGHT ON THE MONEY, HAVE NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM IN OVER 50 YEARS. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Back to top Go down
papasmurf
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : Swallowtail Peacock

PostSubject: Re: LOSS OF APPETITE   3/17/2012, 11:59 am

Are they mouthing the food and then spitting it out? Do they at time seem to be "chewing" even though they have not eaten anything? Do they seem to be breathing faster than normal even when being relatively inactive? If so you may have a case of bloat developing. I have never had it affect more than one or two fish at a time but almost always remove them to a separate tank and treat with clout (it stains the silicone blue). There is tons of info on bloat on the internet and varying remedies, causes, and medications you can try.
Back to top Go down
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : cichlids

PostSubject: Re: LOSS OF APPETITE   3/17/2012, 3:30 pm

how much food have you been giving them??
Back to top Go down
BERNZ
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : Marine fish--but since my house was completely destroyed by my 100 gallon aquarium causing a fire, I have since gone to cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: LOSS OF APPETITE   3/17/2012, 3:59 pm

Thanks guys, have been throwing in just a few sticks--not interested at all in them--they were at a point that they were eating out of my hand--breathing is fairly normal--Brought a water sample to the local store--they can't come up with a clue. You may be right as far as being a case of the bloat. Will check into that.
Back to top Go down
papasmurf
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : Swallowtail Peacock

PostSubject: Re: LOSS OF APPETITE   3/17/2012, 6:13 pm

Definately watch for symptoms cause if it is bloat it can get to the point that it is difficult to save the fish very quickly. Usually at the first sign of not eating/mouthing/spitting food and other symptoms I will pull a fish and treat it....it is extreme but it will improve your chances of success.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LOSS OF APPETITE   

Back to top Go down

LOSS OF APPETITE
Page 1 of 1