UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Callamus worms in Kribensis

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
GVsailor
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : Haplochromis sp Kenya Gold

Callamus worms in Kribensis Empty
PostSubject: Callamus worms in Kribensis   Callamus worms in Kribensis Icon_minitime3/3/2012, 7:00 pm

Does anyone know of an effective treatment for callamus worms? I have a pair of kribs that developed them a year ago. I treated them with a commercial goat wormer and it got rid of the worms. I didn't have any sign of them until about 3 weeks ago. I tried the old medicine and it isn't doing anything this time. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Favorite Fish: : Kribensis

PostSubject: Re: Callamus worms in Kribensis   Callamus worms in Kribensis Icon_minitime3/3/2012, 9:26 pm

idk might sound stupid, but give them more fiber in their diet; hulled blanched peas, blanched spinach. as far as medicines i wouldnt know.

Back to top Go down
GVsailor
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Callamus worms in Kribensis   Callamus worms in Kribensis Icon_minitime3/3/2012, 9:32 pm

[quote="Kasshan"]idk might sound stupid, but give them more fiber in their diet; hulled blanched peas, blanched spinach. as far as medicines i wouldnt know.

[/quote

I didn't think of that. At this point I will try anything.

Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

PostSubject: Re: Callamus worms in Kribensis   Callamus worms in Kribensis Icon_minitime3/3/2012, 10:04 pm

Callamanus worms are the worms that stick out of the fish's cloaca/anus right?
Back to top Go down
GVsailor
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Callamus worms in Kribensis   Callamus worms in Kribensis Icon_minitime3/3/2012, 10:08 pm

Kasshan wrote:
Callamanus worms are the worms that stick out of the fish's cloaca right?
Do you mean they stick out of the fish's anus? If so then yes. They are small red worms that stick out of the anal pore of the vent region.

Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

PostSubject: Re: Callamus worms in Kribensis   Callamus worms in Kribensis Icon_minitime3/3/2012, 10:10 pm

are Callamanus worms blood suckers or more like tapeworms absorbing nutrients thru the hosts partial digestion?
Back to top Go down
GVsailor
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Callamus worms in Kribensis   Callamus worms in Kribensis Icon_minitime3/3/2012, 10:11 pm

Kasshan wrote:
are Callamanus worms blood suckers or more like tapeworms absorbing nutrients thru the hosts partial digestion?

They are a nematode. They absorb food through partial digestion i believe. They reproduce within the fish causing swelling and eventually death from what I have read. They break through the lining of the intestines and can sometimes puncture the fish.
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

PostSubject: Re: Callamus worms in Kribensis   Callamus worms in Kribensis Icon_minitime3/3/2012, 10:18 pm

low nutrient content high fiber foods; hopefully that will work.
Back to top Go down
GVsailor
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Callamus worms in Kribensis   Callamus worms in Kribensis Icon_minitime3/3/2012, 10:19 pm

Kasshan wrote:
low nutrient content high fiber foods; hopefully that will work.

I will give that a shot. I have a really nice pair of kribs, and I really don't want to lose them.
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

PostSubject: Re: Callamus worms in Kribensis   Callamus worms in Kribensis Icon_minitime3/3/2012, 10:21 pm

post pics. youll regret not doing so. speaking of which. i should photograph my kribs rite now....
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Callamus worms in Kribensis   Callamus worms in Kribensis Icon_minitime3/4/2012, 6:22 pm

Go see a Vet. They should help you. Large animal Vet. over a small animal Vet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Callamus worms in Kribensis   Callamus worms in Kribensis Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Callamus worms in Kribensis
Page 1 of 1