UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

46gallon bow front

Go down 
+9
Yeti
plantedtankdude
popebosephus
koolaid68
wblueus
sassynurse2
TheGodParticle
fishface30
Russ722
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : Anything with fins

46gallon bow front  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/4/2012, 4:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

my future 46 gallon bow front saltwater tank .i gave all my freshwater supplies to my son for his tank so im now going 100% no doubt saltwater.

i wont be doing the sump thing on this tank due to space, so i have to figure out another option .

im gonna ask questions and update the post as i go .

current equipment i have to work with:

x2 maxi jet 1200 powerheads
1- 550 powerhead
penguin 330 power filter (possible refugium)
coralife 36 " light with 2 6700k 96 watt lights
x2 plug in type boxes with 2-blue leds, looks cool when th lights are out . (unknow brand)

46gallon bow front  - Page 2 P02-05-12_08-59[/img]

Last edited by Russ722 on 2/5/2012, 8:17 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Yeti
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/17/2012, 2:05 am

Any chance you can get hold of more "live" or even "dead" rock?
I would think that that would really help not just your tank to cycle, but also for the future.

I set up my first SW tank (30G) up about 8 months ago, started using a HOB and then built my sump with protein skimmer as a hang on. I should have run the HOB along with the sump for a couple of months I think. I had live rock in the sump along with some dead rock, but I think the porous stone in the HOB was fully acclimatised to the tank, so I saw a Nitrate spike, even though the sump has about 10-15lbs of live rock in it. My tank has about 30-40lbs of live rock wall in there too.

Are you looking to do Reef or fish only? That will decide your lighting requirements really.
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/19/2012, 8:27 am

lil update ....

tank cycled and added some snails and hermits and i have a scooter blenny that are all doing fine .

tanks still a work in progress but its moving along . i ditched the hob filter, got 3 korolias now , a nano, #1 & a #2 . also have a coralife 65 skimmer.

upgraded lights from 6700k to 50/50 10000k and a antinic , im seriously thinking of doing a sump now .
whats corals would be ok with this bulb ?

[img]46gallon bow front  - Page 2 P03-1810[/img]
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/19/2012, 9:45 am

Are your updated lights T5 or Power Compact? Do you have a set of 10,000 and an actinic in there, or 2 50/50s in there? The difference between T5 and Power Compact (PC) would dictate the difference between coral selections. Also whether you have 2 or 4 bulbs of T5 or the wattage on the Power Compacts...

PC lighting-
Pulsing Xenia, Zooanthids, Mushrooms, Button Polyps, and not a whole lot else...

T5 lighting-
All of the above, plus anemones, sps corals, lps, softies, maybe even some species of clams (depending on the size of tank vs. the number of bulbs), just about anything except for just a few things that you could only realistically keep under Metal Halide lighting

Just as an FYI your scooter blenny (vs. lawnmower blenny) is primarily carnivorous and should be fed meaty foods at least once a day. If you don't see him eating assume he isn't. I love those guys, but if you don't get one with a healthy appetite then you will probably get let down.

You are off to a good start in your adventure in Saltwater!! Keep it up! And always keep asking questions!
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/19/2012, 10:07 am

Hi,
Thanks for the info.
My light is a power compact 1 bulb with 1 10000k and a antinic 96watt.

As far as the blenny the lady at the pet store sold me brine shrimp that comes in cubes on a sheet . I put some in the tank,and he tore it up, being this is the only fish i have atm how much of the shrimp do i feed him and how often? The cubes are like a 1/4 ' square seems to me thats too much so how do go about breaking that up? Thanks again
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/19/2012, 10:17 am

I'm glad to hear that he is a good eater! They are such little characters and fun to watch. You can pop out a cube and then try to break into 1/2s or 1/3s and put the remaining amount in a ziploc bag back in the freezer.

As far as the lighting, the ones I listed under the Power compact are the corals you are most likely going to be able to keep successfully. Make sure you start adding essential elements now to help ready your tank before you get your corals. Kent makes a good one, my favorite is the Seachem AquaVitro Fuel, but it is hard to find. You will have to dose your tank at least weekly if not 2x a week or more, depending... You will also want to start adding Calcium. Depending on what your alkalinity level is (if it is under 5 or 6) you can start with Kent Purple Tech to get a jump on Corraline algae growth. But you have to watch your alkalinity level (or dKH) when using this product so you don't buffer it too high. After it hits maybe 8-10 dKH you should cease using the Purple tech and switch to a Calcium only supplement. Again Kents makes a good one. My favorite to use is Seachem Aquavitro Calcification.
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/19/2012, 10:22 am

Great thanks for the info, those wil be a good start being i like alot of those corals. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/19/2012, 10:23 am

Not a problem, do you have a filter of some sort right now, or just using live rock, water movement and protein skimmer?
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/19/2012, 10:27 am

Right now just the rock,Skimmer qnd water flow i had a canister filter but it was a POS.

Forgot to mention i have a good size peice on tonga rock covered in coraline will that help spread it at all?

Last edited by Russ722 on 3/19/2012, 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/19/2012, 10:33 am

Algae doesn't grow in the same way a polyp colony would. Meaning, that you don't have to start with some to grow some. Just dosing your tank and waiting will help you grow it. The rock that is already covered will definitely give you a jump start.

Adding a sump will help with the filtration aspect, but I would make sure you have areas in the sump for media (like activated carbon or Chemi-Pure Elite) and for growing Macro Algae (Macro algae, like Chaetomorpha can trap excessive nutrients like Nitrates and Phosphates that you can then remove from your system by harvesting the growth of the algae).
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/19/2012, 10:58 am

Thanks for the info very imformative. Is there any certain design setup u would recomend?
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/19/2012, 11:50 am

Having those 3 different circulation pumps in there will help with overall water movement, so that part it great. As far as sumps, I love the CPR Aquafuge Pros that include an awesome Protein Skimmer (if you have a choice get the one with the accella pump, not rio). http://www.cpraquatic.com/products/aquafugepro.html For you, probably the Aquafuge Pro Small (you can also get these with lighting included, which you will need anyway to grow macro algae.) But if you can find a different type of sump for a good price, then go for it! The Aquafuge Pro is usually $300-500 (I got mine for $140 46gallon bow front  - Page 2 690297 ) Just keep in mind when pricing them that you need, in addition to the sump itself, media, hoses and tubing (or pvc) to connect the sump to your tank, an overflow to take water from your display tank down to your tank. Plus you will need a water pump or power head that will be strong enough to move the water from the sump to the tank. For this you will have to familiarize yourself with head height and how much pressure you will lose by pumping the water back up to your main tank. Your overflow must be able to handle more water than your max head height to avoid overflowing your overflow. It's very, very confusing at first, but the more you research and plan the easier it will come.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/20/2012, 6:54 pm

sounds like you figured it out! congrats!
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/20/2012, 7:47 pm

Thanks cwhip,
it all started here with your help from my earlier posts when i was debating to do a saltwater tank or not . Glad i did having alot of fun with it, still have a long way to go but im getting there slowly.
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/29/2012, 6:18 pm

Can anyone recommend a good starter coral that is easy to take of and doesnt require ￱much work and will work with my current light setup?

Also ive seen a cool grassy looking bright green thing on utube but it didnt say what it is .does anyone have a idea what i might be talking about?
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/29/2012, 7:15 pm

Probably a green star polyp... I'll get you a pic, gimmie a sec
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/29/2012, 7:24 pm

This is a pic of mine:
46gallon bow front  - Page 2 M7ruc1

Many are much more green, like this one in this link:
http://www.reeftime.com/coral-profiles/soft-corals/green-star-polyps/200003.htm
http://animal-world.com/Aquarium-Coral-Reefs/Green-Star-Polyps
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/29/2012, 7:26 pm

It will grow and spread over live rock and appear very grass or carpet like and will wave in the current. Very awesome effect when it grows out, especially if you use a wavemaker type device.
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/29/2012, 7:31 pm

That is cool but not it :) kinda thin and long and sways in the current
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/29/2012, 7:33 pm

Ooops, forgot you asked for coral recommendations, for movement: Pulsing Xenia is probably the best bet. You have a lot more color choices with button polyps but many of the interesting color varieties are pretty expensive. Make sure before you buy any corals that you test your water's specific gravity, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate levels and I would recommend you also test the calcium and alkalinity levels. Definitely start dosing your tank with essential elements and calcium to increase your success level.
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/29/2012, 7:39 pm

If u go on youtube type in 40 gallon breeder reef tank new ! And u will see what im talking about .i cant link to it because im on my phone. The tank has a bright blue background
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/29/2012, 7:48 pm

Was it the one that looked like this?
46gallon bow front  - Page 2 24o14dk
This one is mine, and while it is a bicolor Frogspawn, it is the same coral as the fully extended version that was shown in that video (there was another shown earlier in there, but was retracted so I couldn't tell if it was a branching hammer or a frogspawn).

This one will not be successful in your current setup long term. You will need to upgrade your lighting to at least T5 and wait until you tank is a little older (better stocked with nutrients like calcium, iron, iodine, manganese, etc.)
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/29/2012, 7:52 pm

FYI, that video, while colorful, in the long term has several problematic situations that will evolve into nightmares, or at the very least, lots of fragging and catching/rehoming fish.

The Koran Angel, while gorgeous, will get over a foot long and will continue to pick at the corals in there. That is probably one of the reasons several are retracted in the video. The damsel is also something that aquarist is going to regret in that particular setup. Plus several other potential issues.
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/29/2012, 8:05 pm

Thanks for the info, no it was that bushy grassy looking thing on the front left
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/29/2012, 8:38 pm

just a new pic , camera sucks but the water is actually very clear [img]46gallon bow front  - Page 2 P03-2910[/img]
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/29/2012, 8:41 pm

O.K. I made some screen shots of the green grassy looking things...

46gallon bow front  - Page 2 1232z3m

OR

46gallon bow front  - Page 2 2euk39k
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/29/2012, 8:48 pm

Picture #1 is Caulerpa, which is a Macro Algae that helps keep Nitrates down.

Picture #2 is something that I'm not quite sure of... it looks much like Sargassum, but I'm not sure if that comes in green, I'm only aware of brownish colored Sargassum
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 46gallon bow front    46gallon bow front  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

46gallon bow front
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next