UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLog inRegisterFAQ
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

return pump question

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : Anything with fins

return pump question - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: return pump question   return pump question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/18/2012, 11:13 am

First topic message reminder :

im picking up a 75 gallon reef ready tank with a 20g tank im gonna use for a sump, what is a good return pump to use for this ?
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/19/2012, 3:47 pm

yea i was reading that last night about the rios think ill look into others t be on the safe side. thanks.

i received the tank today and measured the holes they are 1" i was toying around with a sump idea and drew this up quick let me know please any changes i need to make , sorry im not a artist with paint and a laptop mousepad :) thought all of this out with out anything to go by out in the garage so go easy on me :)

from left to right :
didnt add in the thickness of the baffles but u get the idea.

return area 9"
baffle 8"with 1/2 gap at bottom
baffle 8" spaced 1" away
refuge area 10"
baffle 8" with 1/2 gap at bottom
baffle 8" spaced 1" away
skimmer/heater area 9"

[img]return pump question - Page 2 Untitl11[/img]

pic of tank- got some cleaning to do :[img]return pump question - Page 2 P01-1913[/img]
Back to top Go down
fishy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Favorite Fish: : its hard to choose just one

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/19/2012, 5:11 pm

looks good what r u doing for particulat filtration on the inlet side i like to use micron socks cpr makes a holder that works great for the home built sump im sure there is other ones out now
Back to top Go down
fishy
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/19/2012, 5:13 pm

it does look like from the drawing u have one extra baffle but u could us the for a sponge or some chemi pure or carbon once in a while
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/19/2012, 5:51 pm

fishy wrote:
looks good what r u doing for particulat filtration on the inlet side i like to use micron socks cpr makes a holder that works great for the home built sump im sure there is other ones out now

TY,havent gotten that far on the particulat:0 but ill check out what you posted.

fishy wrote:
it does look like from the drawing u have one extra baffle but u could us the for a sponge or some chemi pure or carbon once in a while

which baffle should i remove?

as far the spacing between the baffels is 1" enough or do i need more/less?

and lastly spacing for the baffles that dont sit flat to bottomof tank how high up do they need to be?

Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

Favorite Fish: : Electric Blue Rocio Octofasciata

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/19/2012, 5:59 pm

Russ722 wrote:

and lastly spacing for the baffles that don't sit flat to bottom of tank how high up do they need to be?

I used a old cd case for that spacing.

**********USAfishbox.com*************

My Tanks
https://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84/videos
Back to top Go down
fishy
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/19/2012, 6:57 pm

the last green one the cd case sounds like a great idea
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/19/2012, 8:11 pm

fishy wrote:
the last green one the cd case sounds like a great idea

ok thanks , i changed it up a bit instead of 2 baffles between the return and fuge there is one now. do i leave a gap under this baffle or make it flush and put teeth at the top ? changed up the pic with a arrow pointng to where im talking about . [img]return pump question - Page 2 Untitl12[/img]
Back to top Go down
fishy
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/20/2012, 11:45 am

if i new how to draw u a pic i would u want from left to right one with small gap under it then one spced about an inch away on the bottom to keep your sand in place then u want your sand then one at the bottom and the last one an ich or so away with a gap under it hope this helps
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/20/2012, 11:54 am

fishy wrote:
if i new how to draw u a pic i would u want from left to right one with small gap under it then one spced about an inch away on the bottom to keep your sand in place then u want your sand then one at the bottom and the last one an ich or so away with a gap under it hope this helps

yep pretty much return area -then baffle with gap-then another 1" away-then fuge/sand-another baffle flush to bottom -then last baffle 1" away with gap at the drain skimmer area right?
Back to top Go down
fishy
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/20/2012, 12:30 pm

yes u got it

yes
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/20/2012, 12:34 pm

do you plan to have an insump skimmer? if so where do you plan to put it?
are you wanting a fuge area in this sump? we are talking about a 20 long right? thats gonna be a real tight squeeze when you consider how much equipment you will be wanting to hide down there like heaters,skimmer,return pump what if you want to run a media reactor one day? did you already get the 20 long? sorry I'm asking so many questions here but if you have room under that 75 I would go as big as you can fit for many different reasons like if you are planning a fuge area consider how much water in that 20G will be displaced by the rock/sand when all is said and done you wont be adding much more water volume to your system, thats one of the big benefits. I suggest using 1/4 inch thick plexi or thicker otherwise the water preasure running through the sump will collapse your baffles. most all the insump skimmers now days run better in 6-8 inches of water. just my .02

<*)))>{ <*)))>{ <*)))>{ <*)))>{
180 gallon mixed reef SPS dominant 75 gallon sump/fuge.
40 gallon anemone/softy tank 20 gallon sump/fuge.
Red sea max 250 Seahorse tank.
Silence is Golden but Duct tape is Silver.....
Having a saltwater tank without coral is like the Hells angels riding Mopeds*************************************
"The road to success is always under construction."
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/20/2012, 12:58 pm

here's a couple of pic's this is the 75G sump/fuge on the 180 back when it was clean lol
return pump question - Page 2 003-34-1
return pump question - Page 2 007-29-1

Having a saltwater tank without coral is like the Hells angels riding Mopeds*************************************
Back to top Go down
fishy
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/20/2012, 1:17 pm

i like your sump good job very simple yet affective i remember the first time one of thes was unvelled at supperzoo but us hobbiest always find what works best for us
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/20/2012, 9:16 pm

cwhip wrote:
do you plan to have an insump skimmer? if so where do you plan to put it?
are you wanting a fuge area in this sump? we are talking about a 20 long right? thats gonna be a real tight squeeze when you consider how much equipment you will be wanting to hide down there like heaters,skimmer,return pump what if you want to run a media reactor one day? did you already get the 20 long? sorry I'm asking so many questions here but if you have room under that 75 I would go as big as you can fit for many different reasons like if you are planning a fuge area consider how much water in that 20G will be displaced by the rock/sand when all is said and done you wont be adding much more water volume to your system, thats one of the big benefits. I suggest using 1/4 inch thick plexi or thicker otherwise the water preasure running through the sump will collapse your baffles. most all the insump skimmers now days run better in 6-8 inches of water. just my .02

ok let me see if i can answer evrything :)
1.havent quite figured out which skimmer yet, but im thinking in the sump.
2.yea i got a basic 20 gallon tank with the 75 gallon reef ready tank.
3.fuge woul be nice
4. my stand isnt very long 49" minus the 2x4 on each end , at most by 13-14" wide not exact but close.

nice sump you have there

Back to top Go down
fishy
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/21/2012, 11:26 am

how tall is the inside of the stand
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/21/2012, 4:14 pm

its right at 23" from top of the bottom brace to the bottom of the top
Back to top Go down
fishy
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/21/2012, 4:18 pm

the hard part is going to b finding a good skimmer that compact my favorite latley have ben hydors line of skimmers but im pretty sure not possitive that its taller then your stand

witch skimmers were u looking at
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/21/2012, 11:10 pm

yeai know what you mean im getting so frustrated with this saltwater stuff already ,seams like the more you read and think you have a idea of what will owot work and how to do stuff , and all the different posts on the net say one thing then the other says something different its like running around in circles and not getting nowhere.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/22/2012, 5:00 am

Russ722 wrote:
yeai know what you mean im getting so frustrated with this saltwater stuff already ,seams like the more you read and think you have a idea of what will owot work and how to do stuff , and all the different posts on the net say one thing then the other says something different its like running around in circles and not getting nowhere.

the contradictions in this hobby are at every turn because everyone has their own way of doing things.
don't give up! the rewards are worth the effort. it sounds like your 20G is as big as you can go with that stand its no big deal you can still have a nice setup and there are good compact in sump skimmers out there mine was 32 inches tall and I couldn't get it to fit so I took a dremel and cut off 4 inches of the skimmer cup to make it fit
necessities the mother of invention. so decide what YOU want and take all the advice your given with a grain of salt listening to everyone will make you insane weed out the bull sh*tters and move on it won't be long before you can spot
them a mile away and be patient and enjoy the ride. been there done that..

Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/22/2012, 8:32 am

Yeah Russ Like I was saying when I was at your place, Stick to your guns, You have plenty of knowledge here, YOU CAN DO IT!

My Tanks
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/22/2012, 8:45 am

thanks guys i know just had to vent :) so if i have to use this 20 long tank for now whats my best option as far as setting it up ?one of my friends at one time had a sump that was wide open all he did was throw some live rock in it and that was it no baffles or anything and his 85 gallon stayed clean
Back to top Go down
fishy
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/22/2012, 2:57 pm

ive done that too just make sure u put a screen on the pump so your sand dosent get sucked in as far as a 20 gal sump on an 80 will work just fine

hydors performer 405 up to 100 gal reef its 19.13 inches tall 6.8 by 9.8 inches base skimmer can be put external fron your sump the are great skimmers that need little to no adjustment

hang in there the pay off will be worth it my first salt tank had reverse flow under gravel filter witch was years ago boy have things have changed changed

if that skimmer dosent fit your budget let us no we can find one that will
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/22/2012, 3:03 pm

anyone know if a via aqua 4900 pump will do good?from what i told it will put out about 1200gph ,i can get one for a good deal locallyso if you know anything about them please do tell
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/22/2012, 3:18 pm

Here is a chart that should help you with your question. Remember real time test are always way more accurate. Use this for reference!
http://www.graystonecreations.com/riotable.htm

My Tanks
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/22/2012, 3:42 pm

Flippercon wrote:
Here is a chart that should help you with your question. Remember real time test are always way more accurate. Use this for reference!
http://www.graystonecreations.com/riotable.htm

thanks brian when measuing head loss do i go from the sump to the top of the tank or just to the bottom of my tank where the in and out holes are?
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/22/2012, 4:02 pm

You want to go from where the out is on the return pump to where the water must enter the tank..

My Tanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

return pump question
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: SaltWater Aquaria :: General Saltwater Disc.-
Jump to: