UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

return pump question

Go down 
+3
plantedtankdude
Flippercon
Russ722
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : Anything with fins

return pump question Empty
PostSubject: return pump question   return pump question Icon_minitime1/18/2012, 11:13 am

im picking up a 75 gallon reef ready tank with a 20g tank im gonna use for a sump, what is a good return pump to use for this ?
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

Favorite Fish: : Electric Blue Rocio Octofasciata

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question Icon_minitime1/18/2012, 12:07 pm

You need to make sure your return is stronger then the intake. Magnetic drive pumps. Put a valve on the return end so you can control the flow for the overflows.
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question Icon_minitime1/18/2012, 1:57 pm

thanks man ,
from what ive read either a mag 7 or 9 i also read a 9 would be to much.couldn i just put a ball valve to reduce the flow if too much?
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question Icon_minitime1/18/2012, 3:33 pm

yes a mag 5 or 7. or a rio 1800-2500 (rio or not the best but or not to expensive).
yes you could always put a ball valve on it, or put a vice grip clamp on the line. it would restrict some of the flow that way.
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question Icon_minitime1/18/2012, 3:36 pm

Ditch whatever either of those two just said, and head to Reef Central where there are calculators that help you determine what size return pump you actually need.
Back to top Go down
cichlidlady
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
cichlidlady

Favorite Fish: : All African Cichlids but especially Demasoni

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question Icon_minitime1/18/2012, 3:53 pm

popebosephus wrote:
Ditch whatever either of those two just said, and head to Reef Central where there are calculators that help you determine what size return pump you actually need.

WOW wouldn't the not so rude way of responding be "or head to Reef Central........" Idea ?
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question Icon_minitime1/18/2012, 5:02 pm

I guess, but he didn't give enough information to answer the question. There are more factors in matching returns to drains than... I have a 75 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump. Also no one should ever use a rio pump for anything. Ever.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question Icon_minitime1/18/2012, 5:23 pm

James can be a *** at times , like he said there are many factor to consider when getting a return pump. Yes rios are known to cause fire issuses. What do you plan to keep and grow in there.
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question Icon_minitime1/18/2012, 5:53 pm

wow thanks for the info peeps, as far as what im keeping right now the basic rock and a few damsels and clowns

ill post the pipe diameter tomorrow when i pick it up , but i think it was 1" . from the sump to top of tank is roughy50"

sorry for any mispelling my keyboard is about to go out ill try to catch it as much as possible
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question Icon_minitime1/18/2012, 7:10 pm

it's cool dude, this forum is here to help people...
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question Icon_minitime1/18/2012, 7:14 pm

are the rio"s that bad?
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question Icon_minitime1/18/2012, 9:28 pm

Russ722 wrote:
are the rio"s that bad?

the old ones where known to have problems, but i've never had a problem with the rio's i have. but all i've used mine for are mixing water.
if I remember right a company bought rio, and now rio is known as seio. I've also had good luck with the company rainbow and there pumps known as quiet ones.
aquaeon is also starting to make some nice return pumps, and power heads. I use there power heads in my tanks and i can't tell the difference between them and hydor korillas in performance and the aquaeons are cheaper too.
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question Icon_minitime1/18/2012, 10:11 pm

ty very much ill check them out , and the calculator
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question Icon_minitime1/19/2012, 7:58 am

come on people its not rocket science! measure your overflow and the head and go from there! a Mag 7 will be fine... as for Reef Central those people are nothing but a$$$ holes that enjoy belittling others and the Mods well they aren't even human!!!!! Reef Central SUCKS!!!!! ANYONE THATS BEEN AROUND AWHILE KNOWS IT..........................................
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question Icon_minitime1/19/2012, 8:07 am

cwhip wrote:
come on people its not rocket science! measure your overflow and the head and go from there! a Mag 7 will be fine... as for Reef Central those people are nothing but a$$$ holes that enjoy belittling others and the Mods well they aren't even human!!!!! Reef Central SUCKS!!!!! ANYONE THATS BEEN AROUND AWHILE KNOWS IT..........................................

hey thanks ,when measuring the overflow do i go by outside or inside diameter of the pipe?
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question Icon_minitime1/19/2012, 8:30 am

measure the actual hole.
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question Icon_minitime1/19/2012, 8:32 am

cwhip wrote:
measure the actual hole.

got it just wanted to make sure. thanks.
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question Icon_minitime1/19/2012, 8:42 am

cwhip wrote:

I said hit the calculators, not the forum. ;)
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question Icon_minitime1/19/2012, 8:48 am

Russ722 wrote:
cwhip wrote:
measure the actual hole.

got it just wanted to make sure. thanks.

no problems:) post pics when you get the tank.
pope these calculators are all over just google it! lol where do you think Jerk Central got it:)
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question Icon_minitime1/19/2012, 8:49 am

Oh BTW youre lil 58 is looking SWEEEEEET!!!!
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question Icon_minitime1/19/2012, 8:49 am

google seems over-complicated.

Thanks, really starting to dig the SPS. OMG... I'll post a pic here in a minute from a month ago you'll laugh your backside off at my infestation.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question Icon_minitime1/19/2012, 8:51 am

popebosephus wrote:

you are such a funny Man!!!!! lol!
google google google return pump question 196631
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question Icon_minitime1/19/2012, 8:56 am

popebosephus wrote:

Thanks, really starting to dig the SPS. OMG... I'll post a pic here in a minute from a month ago you'll laugh your backside off at my infestation.

I'll be looking for the pics! I've sold most of my SPS'S off and rescaped the entire 180 I got bored so I'm planning something new:) the ponies are doing awesome but I need to setup a nursery tank for the fry but time has been an issue the last few months:(
Back to top Go down
fishy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Favorite Fish: : its hard to choose just one

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question Icon_minitime1/19/2012, 12:58 pm

if it were me i would stay away from rio pumps ive had nothing but problems with them they have a tedency to stop out of no were. they also have problems with overheating witch cause them to get shorts and electicute the entire tank causing wipe outs. after getting shocked by over fifty of these pumps i dont trust them. but they did switch hands and they may b better pumps now. i would go with ether a mag drive , lifegaurd pump, or my personal favorite ehiem pump any of these pumps should work great
Back to top Go down
Russ722
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: return pump question   return pump question Icon_minitime1/19/2012, 3:47 pm

yea i was reading that last night about the rios think ill look into others t be on the safe side. thanks.

i received the tank today and measured the holes they are 1" i was toying around with a sump idea and drew this up quick let me know please any changes i need to make , sorry im not a artist with paint and a laptop mousepad :) thought all of this out with out anything to go by out in the garage so go easy on me :)

from left to right :
didnt add in the thickness of the baffles but u get the idea.

return area 9"
baffle 8"with 1/2 gap at bottom
baffle 8" spaced 1" away
refuge area 10"
baffle 8" with 1/2 gap at bottom
baffle 8" spaced 1" away
skimmer/heater area 9"

[img]return pump question Untitl11[/img]

pic of tank- got some cleaning to do :[img]return pump question P01-1913[/img]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content