UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Linkable LED question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angelfish, Rummynose Tetras

Linkable LED question Empty
PostSubject: Linkable LED question   Linkable LED question Icon_minitime1/18/2012, 12:08 am

I've been debating whether to get a T5 or LED to replace my Current Orbit PC fixture, and I came upon some LED strips. However, the description says the transformer is sold separately. So I looked at the transformer for the light, and it's a frickin AC adaptor that costs about the same at the light strip? Does anyone know if a generic transformer would work? The same brand transformer sells for $45 while a generic one is $20, a big difference to me, especially when an LED strip was selling for about $65.

I know it's safer to go with the recommended branded transformer, but just wondering if someone or someone who knows someone has ever used generic to power their LEDs?
Back to top Go down
TheGodParticle
Sergeant
Sergeant
TheGodParticle

Favorite Fish: : Dats, Geo's, Fronts, Pikes. I collect the rare stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Linkable LED question   Linkable LED question Icon_minitime1/18/2012, 1:42 am

If it were me I would def go with the LED's. I can't begin to say enough good things about these although I've never used the strips I just own fixtures I can tell you they are very cheap to run and are very cool to the touch and don't put out unnecessary heat. I've never seen Corals or Plants grow as good under LED's then any other lighting including MH. If you have the money to spend on LED's I would make the investment... With that being said if it were me once again I would not want to mix and match the transformers to the LED's there's a reason they make transformers just for the Stunner Strips, but this is not to say that any adapter like that may not work. It may work fine and you'll be happy.... but then again an outside off brand may burn out your LED's. Which would you be more happy with? From my understanding of LED's they need to use a very specific transformer to operate them at their maximum potential which is why when you buy any other LED's outside of the strips they come with their own transformers.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: Linkable LED question   Linkable LED question Icon_minitime1/18/2012, 7:15 am

why not just buy some good LED's? stunners are nothing but glorified moon lights.
Back to top Go down
TheGodParticle
Sergeant
Sergeant
TheGodParticle

Favorite Fish: : Dats, Geo's, Fronts, Pikes. I collect the rare stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Linkable LED question   Linkable LED question Icon_minitime1/18/2012, 12:18 pm

cwhip wrote:
why not just buy some good LED's? stunners are nothing but glorified moon lights.

Linkable LED question 858205 but I think it depends on what he wants to do with them as well. As you know LED fixtures are a very expensive way to go at this point in time. I paid right around $500 a piece for my fixtures, and I've seen plenty of fixtures that go much higher then that in price and only cover a small amount of tank. I think if he choosing LED's for a 10-20 gallon tank then Stunner Strips may not be a bad idea because they will still get good PAR readings in a small tank for a fraction of the price. However if it were a larger tank I would def just go with LED fixtures if he had the money. All in all I agree with you though fixtures themselves are a better way to go unless you just wanting to add more light to whatever fixtures you already have T5, MH, PC, etc... then it may not be a bad idea to just add some Stunner Strips.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: Linkable LED question   Linkable LED question Icon_minitime1/18/2012, 1:09 pm

Stunner Strips are designed to be add on supplemental lighting, not the primary source of light so if youre looking to replace your PC fixture with these you wont be happy with them. what size tank are we talking about? what are you keeping in the tank?
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Linkable LED question   Linkable LED question Icon_minitime1/18/2012, 3:58 pm

$500 on LEDS? (heart attack!) I think I'd want just the strips, the PC fixture is cumbersome come maintenance time. The tank I'm looking to put this on is a planted tank, 36g bowfront, about 20-21" deep. I don't think the PC fixture I have is cutting the mustard when it comes to light penetration. I have a glass top on it, and I'm sure that cuts the light down a bit, but the tank is in a drafty 2-story area, and it would lose so much water without the glass top.

Granted the tank is only 30" long(hard to find this size fixture anyways, limited options), but because there is a ~2" brace at the top, I'd be wasting 2" of LEDs if I don't get 2 shorter linkable LED strips. I was thinking of (2) 12" LED strips linked at the middle where the brace is. The tank can use the extra indirect light without a fixture...

What do you guys think? Is there a brand that's recommended?
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Linkable LED question   Linkable LED question Icon_minitime1/19/2012, 11:55 am

bump
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: Linkable LED question   Linkable LED question Icon_minitime1/19/2012, 12:27 pm

it definatley helps to know what kind of tank this is, I have an idea for you
have you ever thought of using a hanging light over this tank and using a Par38 bulb? they are cheap and will grow a planted tank like crazy! you should be able to choose a fairly inexpensive fixture that you can clip to the back of the tank. I have a small clip on with a Par38 bulb clipped onto my 75 gallon sump and its amazing how fast things grow. just a thought... as far as LED's go I have the Reef brites strips and love them. here is a link they come in different colors and theres nothing else you need to buy just plug it in and youre done.
30inch reef brite
http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/RB-PM30-B.html
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Linkable LED question   Linkable LED question Icon_minitime1/19/2012, 1:09 pm

Thanks for the idea. I thought about getting a linkable one so that I can avoid wasting any LEDs where the 2" brace is at the top of the tank. like a 12" strip on each side of the brace.

The PAR38 is a good idea, I have to do my research to find bulbs for plants. Perhaps I can DIY it and use clip on shop lights with these bulbs, one clip-on on each side of the brace. I'd be placing them directly onto the glass lid anyways. might look a little tacky though since the tank is in the living room. (you can use IKEA's Hemma light socket cord that's for plug-in ceiling lights, hang them off the ceiling and use decorative shades to your taste. CHEAP custom PAR38 plant lights!) This idea would be great for an open tank. I think LEDs would look better without the glass top for the ripple effect, but I get too much evaporation.

Here's a photo of how my tank is positioned in the room(click to enlarge):

Linkable LED question Photo_13

and here is it when the light of off. i like how there is indirect light

Linkable LED question Photo_14
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: Linkable LED question   Linkable LED question Icon_minitime1/19/2012, 1:51 pm

Par38 will grow plants I use them to start my seedlings in the early spring. you could mod the fixture you have and install either LED's or T5 in that fixture or maybe both if you have the room. just a thought. I like the IKEA idea too why not I bet it would look awesome:)
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Linkable LED question   Linkable LED question Icon_minitime1/19/2012, 5:57 pm

well i was thinking of moving my fixture onto the natural planted tank, just use one bulb. so many ideas....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Linkable LED question   Linkable LED question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Linkable LED question
Page 1 of 1